Happy Birthday!

The latest news from the admins
BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Happy Birthday!

Post by BroadcastDoc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Hello all!

November 13th 2007 was a big day in history. Two friends got together and talked about the profession they loved so much.

In the discussion, the topic came up about the lack of knowledge sharing in the industry. As many SBE members know, there are often "meetings after the meetings" where market engineers talk about war stories, exchange tips and tricks, and offer assistance. Often though, that's where is ended. If you didn't attend those meetings, or weren't in a position to be an SBE member, you didn't reap the benefits of those "meetings".

Those two friends, Kent and myself, saw something else. We saw the decline of an "art". Engineers are retiring in droves. Very few people are entering the profession. Those that are entering need to draw on the experience of those leaving. The talent pool is shrinking, and we thought something needed to be done.

That was the talk that started the Virtual Engineer.

It is truly a labor of love. I pay for the hosting myself, and neither of us make a penny. While we sometimes talk about involving engineering-related sponsors in a non-traditional way, from day one we decided that if we can afford to do it without traditional advertising, that's what we need to do. We simply wanted to create an on-line "meeting after the meeting" for everyone.

Speaking for myself, it's been very rewarding to see this site grow. Often you see sites like this have a burst of activity when they go live, then fade into obscurity. It's because of each of you that this site still exists.

I would like to take a moment to thank all of our moderators, who take time out to spur conversation, and make sure that things go smooth. They do it for free, and it's often a thankless job.

I'd also like to thank Mike Fitzpatrick (NECRAT). He has done a lot to get people participating, and from day one he has not been afraid to be brutally honest when I float crazy ideas out there. Lots of times, forums like this lose their way because the moderators are "yes-men" to the creators. When Mike and I disagree, he's always been respectful, and I appreciate it.

Thanks to all our members. If it weren't for you, this would be a boring place! I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge.

Most importantly, thank you Kent. You are a great friend, and I'm glad that we can share this together. Even if I destroyed you in our processing wars in Milwaukee! :lol:

Here's to many, many more years of lively discussion!
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

RFWarrior

Re: Happy Birthday!

Post by RFWarrior » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:17 pm

BroadcastDoc wrote:Those two friends, Kent and myself, saw something else. We saw the decline of an "art". Engineers are retiring in droves. Very few people are entering the profession. Those that are entering need to draw on the experience of those leaving. The talent pool is shrinking, and we thought something needed to be done.
That's been the topic of many conversations I've had over the past few years - anything that keeps the existing talent pool intact and helps us to expand it, or at least minimize the shrinkage is a good thing. This forum is a wonderful example of that; in almost a year of being here, I've not yet seen a flame war erupt - even the heated discussions have been resolved amongst the membership with very little moderator input required - that is an incredible rarity on the lists these days. I'd like to add my thanks for the opportunity to participate and the tolerance shown to my frequently biased and sometimes totally off-topic or random flights of fancy :)

Great job guys - one year, 187 members, almost 7,700 posts on over 1,000 topics, covering all subjects. A resource where somebody knows more than me on just about any issue I could require assistance with - that's what keeps me coming back.... well, that and the chance to troll K9EZ on occasion :P

Congratulations on a great idea, very well executed, here's to many more years of banter, barter and distance learning!!!

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Doc, you put it best. It's been a year all ready? Wow how time flies when you're busy. This site is an amazing idea. Hard to believe it's still in it's infancy.
(Imagine the possibilities). This site just proves what's been known all along, that we're all just one big brotherhood. When I say big, I do mean small. Engineering folk watch out for one another, and engineering folk also love to story tell, and have our quirky sense of humor. It was a great idea on Doc and Kent's part to bring this community together on the web, as, a community. I also appreciate the fact that they chose me to help be a site admin with them, I took that as a great moment in my career, mainly because of how great this site is, and how fantastic our members are. Doc and I do sometimes "disagree" to the point of not communicating sometimes, but its because we think so much alike, and because we both want the best for this site.

The bottom line is, the real reason this site IS what it is, is because of YOU folks. You make this site what it is, just like you make your stations as good as they are. =)

Thank you for being a part of our community and here is to many more years!!!
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:07 pm

RFWarrior wrote:even the heated discussions have been resolved
Now, who the hell could you be talking about? Image

Congratulations, guys. It's difficult to keep the energy level up for something like this when you've got a real job and real life barking at you every minute. Here'e to another year. Or 10. Image
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Chris from Milwaukee

Post by Chris from Milwaukee » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:01 am

Congratulations! In the past year I have gotten an incredible education from The Braintrust here. It's great that a regular guy (I didn't say normal) like me with a fascination for radio has a place to go to get answers to those pressing radio related questions. All of you have done a fantastic job here and take a pat on the back out of petty cash! Hey, you guys even let building engineers hang out here. How cool is that? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Chris from Milwaukee
Feeding Broadcast Engineers Worldwide
(And transmitter salesmen too!)