Wanna-B Engineers: ENCOURAGEMENT

The latest news from the admins
K9EZ
Site Admin

Wanna-B Engineers: ENCOURAGEMENT

Post by K9EZ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 am

This is a post of encouragement; for those of you that are silently browsing the site. I encourage you to sign up and ask questions. I KNOW there are many geeks or Wanna-Bs out there. This site is not only for the experienced, but also for those who are curious about technology.

Here, you will not find anyone that will lay into you because they think it is a stupid question. I have been a part of other sites or reflectors that really rip into people that may not have the experience that others have. We are here to encourage the engineering business, and therefore encourage questions.

PLEASE do not think that your question is not worthy. IT IS WORTHY!!

We have some AWESOME moderators. These are people that CARE about technology and the engineering craft. Lets take advantage of them! :lol:

Thanks for visiting us. We hope you find this a useful site. But that is up to how YOU participate. SO BRING IT ON!

Chris from Milwaukee

Post by Chris from Milwaukee » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Agreed!! I am not a Broadcast Engineer (I am a building engineer, however) and I have always had a huge curiosity regarding radio and how it gets from you guys to me in particular. I guess I would definately fall into the wannabeee column.

I have posted questions at other radio sites and have always found the Engineering Department (if you will) to be most hospitable with regard to my questions. I have learned a great deal about radio frequency propigation from questions answered by the great bunch of people that you find here! Be prepared to do some reading, however. Doc and Kent have given me links to fantastic articles that have lead me to more and more stuff about radio.

You will get a friendly grilling from time to time but The Engineering Department will never turn you into charcoal. I encourage all of the silent browsers to become involved. I have learned about how to phase an AM array, what an exciter is all about, I found out what skywave was and why it took out one of my favorite stations at night, what the difference is between classes, some really cool pics (... is this thing turned off), what a fybush is and even what a Frensel Zone is and why it is soooo important to the listeners even though most of them don't know it exists. Lots to learn here... take advantage of the opportunity.

Knowledge IS power! I am working on my next Montly Question.

Thanks to Doc and K-9!!
Chris from Milwaukee
Feeding Broadcast Engineers Worldwide
(And transmitter salesmen too!)

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:18 pm

Chris from Milwaukee wrote:I am working on my next Montly Question.
Looking forward to it! :)
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:25 pm

[quote="Chris from Milwaukee"]Agreed!! I am not a Broadcast Engineer (I am a building engineer, however) ]

Well, that makes you 70 percent qualified to be a broadcast engineer. 100 percent in the smaller markets!
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:32 pm

KPJL FM wrote:
Chris from Milwaukee wrote:Agreed!! I am not a Broadcast Engineer (I am a building engineer, however) ]

Well, that makes you 70 percent qualified to be a broadcast engineer. 100 percent in the smaller markets!
Indeed! It is amazing how sales weasels are unable to unplug their own toilets. (There are WAY too many punch lines in that one sentence)

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:16 pm

Some day I'll tell you the legend of the "Unapooper" in our building...
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:01 pm

BroadcastDoc wrote:Some day I'll tell you the legend of the "Unapooper" in our building...
I may have to PASS (rim shot) on that story.

Lox

Post by Lox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:31 pm

This is EXACTLY the kind of site I've been looking for. It seems as though information on the web is few and far between when it comes to radio/tv engineering.

I work for a couple or radio stations, and we also take care of the local cable ad insertion stuff as well. I've been here for around 4 years...but most of my knowledge is simply a result of my own trial and error...there wasn't an engineer here for me to learn from, and my education revolved around programming computers and mixing chemicals. Somehow I ended up in the world of broadcasting, full of ancient technology that shouldn't work, and new technology that doesn't work :?

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Lox-

Welcome! Glad you found us.

We all were in your shoes once, so feel free to ask away! ;)

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:53 pm

Lox wrote:This is EXACTLY the kind of site I've been looking for. It seems as though information on the web is few and far between when it comes to radio/tv engineering.

I work for a couple or radio stations, and we also take care of the local cable ad insertion stuff as well. I've been here for around 4 years...but most of my knowledge is simply a result of my own trial and error...there wasn't an engineer here for me to learn from, and my education revolved around programming computers and mixing chemicals. Somehow I ended up in the world of broadcasting, full of ancient technology that shouldn't work, and new technology that doesn't work :?
We are so glad you are here. A lot of us came up through the ranks via trial and error.

We look forward to your participation!
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:30 am

K9EZ wrote: Indeed! It is amazing how sales weasels are unable to unplug their own toilets. (There are WAY too many punch lines in that one sentence)
HEY NOW!!! :shock: I'll have you know I am perfectly capable of unplugging my own toilet, snaking the drain, and replacing the elbow that I drove the snake through (darn PVC drains). Of course, I may be an exception.... :wink:

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

W4AQQ

Re: Wanna-B Engineers: ENCOURAGEMENT

Post by W4AQQ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:27 pm

I AHVE BEEN A swL AND A mw BCB dXER SINCE AGE 14.IM NOW 50.BEEN A HAM FOR 25 YEARS AFTER BEING A CB'ER FOR ABT 8 YEARS......I WAS SLOGHTLY EXPOSED TO BROADCASTING WHEN I WAS 16.LAST YEAR i WAS APPROACHED ABOUT SOME STUFF AT A FM BROADCAST STATION DUE TO BEING KNOWN AS A VERY ACTIVE HAM AND FORMER RADIO/TV REPAIR TECHNICIAN BEFOR EGOING TO WORK IN PRIVATE INDUSTRY.........
rADIO INSIGHT WAS A BIG HELP TO ME ESPECIALLY AFTER SOME PHONE CALLS AND EMAILS TO SAM .
i WAS STILL BROWSING THAT SITE BUT NOTICE DTHERE WRE NO NEW POST, AND DISCOVERED A POST ABOUT THIS SITE, I hav enjoyed reading thi ssite.and yes I feel I am a rookie and engineer wanna be..and thi site has yeilded me much encouragment and a wealth of info..........
73 and Happy new year to everyone