Audio wiring with punchdown.

Where the magic happens...or something...
eadler

Re: Audio wiring with punchdown.

Post by eadler » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:20 am

We use Krone blocks for our studios with Wheatstone D- and Gen- consoles. Each studio has punch blocks behind a flip down piece of the desk with trunks run to punch blocks in the rack room. I don't recall the part #s of the wire used for the original install, but when I've added things (such as for our HDRadio upgrade with new processing and STL), I've used CAT-5e and a bunch of heatshrink (basically making a mini snake fan-out for the equipment) and punched them in series on the router in/outputs. Works great. (Note: I do not run audio 'both directions' on a single cat5e). We also run audio from our radio stations to our TV system in a different part of the building. I needed to mirror these runs for a test system, was easy to build 4x XLR > RJ45 and RJ45 > 4x XLR and run outputs of the DAs existing in the radio racks through one of my spare cat5e runs between the rooms to get to the TV equipment; I later used this same setup to get AES audio to my desk (simply patched the RJ45 from TV master, where the network patch bays all are, to the spare port above my desk, put the XLR cable there).
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

davek

Post by davek » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:24 am

We have kicking around our facility some diecast metal boxes with a RJ45 socket on the side and 4 XLR (2 male 2 female) connectors on top. They would have been made almost 10 years ago now and are absolutely indespensible! If I remember to I'll snap a photo and share...

MHVoris

Post by MHVoris » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:03 pm

I am very pleased with 66 blocks, especially bridging audio. I have made patches using the bridge clips and that works well
Mark H Voris CBRE
Chief Engineer
Spirit Catholic Radio - KVSS
Omaha, Nebraska

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:36 am

The nice thing about using the 66 blocks is the ease in troubleshooting. You can clip onto any of the connections to test for audio.

--Mike
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:45 pm

True, however you can do that with Krone blocks, too, if you have one of their patch cords that's terminated with the special banana plugs. Those plugs are also jacks so with two of them you can configure a patch that retains the normal bridge or doesn't on either end or both.

Have to admit I didn't think too much of the Krone blocks at first but now we keep one of those banana plug patch cords with a Radio Shack speaker amp connected to it and whenever you need to check something you just plug in. We also have a little gadget that plugs in and gives you a couple of big ears to clip onto while not breaking the normal. Come to think of it, we keep the amp clipped to that and have it parked in an unconnected spot so it's always handy.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

MHVoris

Post by MHVoris » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Shane wrote:True, however you can do that with Krone blocks, too, if you have one of their patch cords that's terminated with the special banana plugs. Those plugs are also jacks so with two of them you can configure a patch that retains the normal bridge or doesn't on either end or both.

Have to admit I didn't think too much of the Krone blocks at first but now we keep one of those banana plug patch cords with a Radio Shack speaker amp connected to it and whenever you need to check something you just plug in. We also have a little gadget that plugs in and gives you a couple of big ears to clip onto while not breaking the normal. Come to think of it, we keep the amp clipped to that and have it parked in an unconnected spot so it's always handy.
I had always heard that you can't bridge wires on the Krone blocks like you can on the 66 blocks, is this true?
Mark H Voris CBRE
Chief Engineer
Spirit Catholic Radio - KVSS
Omaha, Nebraska

Muadeeb

Post by Muadeeb » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:18 am

They will support a single double punch with 22 guage wire. I've done a triple with Cat-V, but do it at your own risk. I've actually got several double punches on Krone blocks where my router has it's logic terminated (one 5V pin has to support two channels)
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

hellothisisdog

Post by hellothisisdog » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 pm

Shane wrote:True, however you can do that with Krone blocks, too, if you have one of their patch cords that's terminated with the special banana plugs. Those plugs are also jacks so with two of them you can configure a patch that retains the normal bridge or doesn't on either end or both.
I've been looking for these patch cords, do you happen to know their exact name so I could look them up? My own googling hasn't been very fruitful so far.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:07 pm

I found them at SystemsStore.com. See the attachment. Sorry to be so late with the answer.
Attachments
Found these at SystemsStore.doc
(133 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:52 am

'66' blocks were made for 22-26ga solid wire. Stranded will work, but only one conductor per terminal. Double punching requires a lot of experience, and a lack of $$. :roll: That said, I won't use blocks anymore than necessary for audio - I won't take a CD output and run to a block, then into the console. The CD player isn't going to change over the life of the units. Room-room is pretty much necessary for blocks, unless you have a router (or maybe DA's inline).

With digital like the Wheaty's I've installed, I'll use 24ga stranded and make XLR to RJ45 jumpers for in room. Room-room is Cat6 digital, anyway. Analog sources that are room-room go into a blade where the source device is located.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.