Affordable studio furniture.

Where the magic happens...or something...
musiconradio.com

Affordable studio furniture.

Post by musiconradio.com » Tue May 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Any good sources/sites. Thanks

KPJL FM

Re: Affordable studio furniture.

Post by KPJL FM » Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 am

http://www.graham-studios.com/

good quality, good guy to work with
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed May 02, 2012 10:45 am

I second Rod at Graham Studios. Back when he was at Arrakis doing their furniture he made replacement countertops for the furniture I bought from a defunct radio outfit. Very friendly and great customer service. I'm glad to see he spun off to do more.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Muadeeb

Post by Muadeeb » Wed May 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Ever thought about a local cabinet maker?
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed May 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Muadeeb wrote:Ever thought about a local cabinet maker?
Local cabinet makers can be fine, but since most of them have never built radio studio furniture they need precise instructions from an engineer who knows how to properly design such furniture. Improper design leads to, for example, counters that sag because they are not designed to support enough load. Imagine, for example, a typical kitchen counter which instead of a typical load is forced to support a range placed on top of the counter.

Rod is a good choice - back in the day when he was at Arrakis their studio furniture was the only thing from Arrakis that I really liked.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

musiconradio.com

Post by musiconradio.com » Wed May 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks. Yes I had look at local sources. I will check out Rod's website too.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Muadeeb wrote:Ever thought about a local cabinet maker?
Local cabinet makers can be fine, but since most of them have never built radio studio furniture they need precise instructions from an engineer who knows how to properly design such furniture. Improper design leads to, for example, counters that sag because they are not designed to support enough load. Imagine, for example, a typical kitchen counter which instead of a typical load is forced to support a range placed on top of the counter.

Rod is a good choice - back in the day when he was at Arrakis their studio furniture was the only thing from Arrakis that I really liked.
On the other hand, local guys are local so if you need repairs or need changes it's very easy. I went local on a three studio project and it was fantastic. Just be detailed with your plans and if possible have him/her check out a few studio builds for inspiration.

This was done by a local guy.
WCHY Studio.jpg
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu May 03, 2012 9:29 am

I have a couple of older studio furniture racks from RusLang as they were local to me. I don't know if they just went out of business or they sold off their assets. Frank Ruskay passed away back in 2010.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:32 am

Another good source is Ram Broadcast Systems in the Chicago area. His furniture is very good and he has been doing it for many years.

Fossil

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:54 am

Whether or not you use Rod Graham, RAM or somebody else that's online I'd certainly do your research. I'm too leary to go with anybody who just throws up a website sans contact information with a domain that's only a few months old. You'd want somebody who's been established for some time and will support you when you need it. Rod certainly did for me with my studio furniture needs and I know of colleagues who've used RAM for various builds and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Another contact might be Dan over at Radio Systems, as I know he does turnkey studios and might be able to recommend yet another source.

I remember back in my teens seeing a studio that was done by a local cabinet maker and it wasn't really impressive. He used modified kitchen cabinets and while it came in as a budget install for the station in question it also looked like it was inexpensively done. I swear everything must have been MDF or particleboard as a return visit years later had all the counters sagging.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:36 pm

We've built five studios using Lowes kitchen cabinets and locally installed counter tops. No problems, except for the first one--and that was because the guy didn't know how to butt together a counter top so it wouldn't separate. After that we double checked to make sure the counter top sections were joined properly. We ordered what are called "bar tops" which are wider--36" as I remember.

If you want a sit-down operation, you will need to cut the bottom "pedestal" off the cabinet. Otherwise, they are the right height for stand-up or occasional use sitting on a high stool.

The 24" cabinet bases ( the kind with one drawer and a big lower section for pots & pans) make good built-in racks. Buy the rack rails from Middle Atlantic, then use a 2X4 to (and some shims) to get 19" spacing. Like any enclosed rack, you need to consider ventilation if you will be mounting anything that generates a lot of heat, such as a console power supply. Where my supply is mounted I took out the drawer and shimmed in a vented rack panel, then put a 2 fan rack panel in the bottom.

The typical 36" sink base cabinets are a good place to put computers, direct boxes & other such gadgets that need to be accessible but not visible.
You can buy the plastic inserts in varying sizes to mount in the counter top for cable access for such things as computer monitors, keyboards, & mice.
In one studio I found a USB hub that was designed to fit into the plastic insert, so the keyboard and mouse just plug into the hub.

One of our studios is "T" shaped--top of the "T" along the side wall, long arm of the "T" into the middle of the room with the console. The end of the long arm is supported by a 30" cabinet, but the main portion of the counter-top sits on a 2X4 box anchored to the wall. Been there 9 years, no sign of sagging. That station is mostly satellite, but we run a love scoreboard show Friday nights during football season--mikes were positioned so the board operator can look across the console at the other talent.

One advantage is you end up with plenty of storage room. One disadvantage is that you must cut nice big holes between the cabinets when you install. Seems like no matter how many cables you run you always need to add more--not just audio, but CAT5; control wire and coax for satellite receivers.

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:35 pm

TPT wrote:...we run a love scoreboard show Friday nights...
Great typo...I first read that and thought WOW! Didn't know there was a radio market to broadcast those types of 'scores' :lol:
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:50 am

Yea--the usual Friday score is Jocks = O Gals = 10

The cats can't resist helping with the typing.... :)