Audio Console Selection

Where the magic happens...or something...
ghaffar3

Audio Console Selection

Post by ghaffar3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:02 am

Hi,

We are planning a revamp of our studio's and still looking out for an audio console. After much research we have nailed down to two audio consoles. One is Studer OA3000 and the other Lawo Sapphire.

I need to know if anyone in here has used any of these mixer's and how good/reliable they are.

Secondly if I would want to drill down to one console, what features/comparision points one would look at to make out a winner.

THanks for your help, it would simply help me select the best for our project.

Muadeeb

Re: Audio Console Selection

Post by Muadeeb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 am

Depends on how you want to format your station. If you are primarily a network affiliate with only a few live hours, I'd look at Radio Systems or even (gulp) Arrakis. If you are primarily live, or locally automated, Audio Arts/Wheatstone is where I'd look. I've been out of the analog console arena for some time, so others may have different thoughts.

You also didn't mention your facility. If you're a single or two station operation (plus prod/new rooms) then the above is the easiest way to go. If you have three or more stations, I'd at least entertain the idea of a TDM or IP based work surface. The savings in DAs and trunk cabling can be huge.

RE: features. Mix bus outputs, number of mix minus available, serviceability / support, device control. For the first two, you need to take the station's full operation into consideration. If you run two phone hybrids with the ability to record callers off air, need to record something off-line, and do live remotes then you'll need something bigger than if you only have one hybrid and never do remotes or off-line recording. For the control, there are consoles out there that only provide a start pulse at 'ON', all the way to consoles that'll remotely turn on the cue bus, trigger the 'OFF' lamp when something is ready to play (and turn it off when it's done playing), bi-directional 'ON' control (remote on in and on pulse out), off control, and I've done some really zany stuff with my setups before.

My only hard and fast suggestion would be to stay away from Logitek. Far away. And get there by running.
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:04 pm

GHaffar3,

Welcome to the message forums! Hope you find your answer you want here. However, I must ask, please refrain from "cross posting". (Posting the same subject in multiple forums).
It's generally frowned on by most message forums, and isn't allowed here either.

Thanks,

-- Mike
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

brandonb959

Post by brandonb959 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:27 pm

Audioarts D75, hands down!! They have daughter cards that allow any channel to be switched from analog to digital and offer analog and digital outputs on all 4 output buses. We have two of these consoles on our 100K watters with fully digital AES audio chains from the computer sound card to the Optimod 8600 input at the transmitters and it sounds amazing! Plus they are less than $10K...

ghaffar3

Post by ghaffar3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:40 pm

THanks for you updates.

Yeah we have got two live studio's that are then split to 6 networks to cater different regions. Sometimes we do splits for adbreaks and for some shows for different regions from different studio's.

In general we have got 6 studio's.

HOw would you vote support from studer, and lawo. And their support team response.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Those two, I think, are rarely seen here. I'd never heard of Lawo but I saw a response to that on your now-closed duplicate thread.

We have a Logitek routing system with 6 Ramora consoles and engines and have been quite pleased with it. However, I believe they do not market those today. They have some newer more space-efficient systems now. The complexity of your setup seems to recommend some kind of routing system.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Muadeeb

Post by Muadeeb » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:08 pm

With that setup, I'd run a 'Live Sound' console in the live room; something like a Yamaha 01v or 02r depending on number of inputs needed (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sou ... al-mixers/). The Control rooms I'd do a routable setup with SAS, Axia, or Wheatstone, feeding the stereo out of the live console into the router so either one can be picked up by any control room.
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

musiconradio.com

Post by musiconradio.com » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Can't say enough about the Radio systems RS12 board. Very simple. Wiring and connections are a breeze.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Make sure you have good transient protection for those Radio Systems boards. I've spent many nights replacing op-amps in those - they tend to pop during storms!
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

musiconradio.com

Post by musiconradio.com » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Yep. Arrakis boards do that too (replaced many IC's) Got it covered. thanks.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:14 pm

I've not had that problem with Audioarts. Had a D-70 that we just loved. Shortly before it's retirement we were running the air signals of two radio stations through it - one on PGM and one on AUX 1. I think the successor D-75 is still made.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---