Turntables

Where the magic happens...or something...
rrrprod

Turntables

Post by rrrprod » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Calling everyone on this board.......When were the Gates 88 rumble king turntables first made and sold? They had the big red rocker switch on them. :?: I'm thinking Bob G should know this. No it's not a contest, I was just thinking about it in an email to a friend.
King Gain Rider

RGORJANCE

Re: Turntables

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:11 pm

Boy, it's getting brutal around here! Do you know how hard it is to get my brain working?????

Ok, I started there in March 1, 1965. The turntables I remember were the CB-11, and the CB-77, and fuzzy brain says there also was a CB-100. The 77 was an existing product at that time. I also recall that like "along came Jones", there was a CB1201 turntable, (cheaper-lighter and a bit smaller overall footprint) but that was later on in my career there. So much for the numbers.

I think that the 77 probably was an early 1960's machine. The CB-11 was the larger diameter platter for like the old large diameter World discs and others of that size. The 11 was, if memory serves, no longer manufactured then, but I filled orders for lots of parts for them. The CB-77 was the 12 inch diam. unit, and if there was a CB-100, it would have been for the larger discs.

If you need the Harris 10 digit part numbers, I can provide them for the turntable felts and the cans of Daven Oil. That's kinda an inside funny. The sales guys usta joke that their latest large dollar order was for a can of Daven Oil and a couple turntable felts.

Do you guys know what Daven Oil was used for???

Fossil

P.S. Get me started and it's tough finding the off switch - be careful!

rrrprod

Post by rrrprod » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:26 am

OK Bob you got me it was the 77's I was referring to. Don't know where I got 88....ten off! Wasn't the Daven oil used at the bottom of the TT shaft where the shaft sat on top of the ball bearing?

You sold me a pair of CD-1201's in 1980.......I still have them in my studio!

P.S. The on/off switch was easy to find...it was that big red rocker one! JK LOL
King Gain Rider

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Gotcha!

Daven oil was used to lubricate the wiper and attenuator buttons on the inside of the old Daven step type rotary attenuators. I had to replace several that had never been lubricated and they were pretty well worn.

Bob

RCAguy

Post by RCAguy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm restoring an RCA 16in transcription turntable model BQ-2B (~1960) with two "lightweight" tonearms MI-11895 & -11885. Got it working mechanically near new spec, but need to research replacing pickups with 78 stylus and another for microgroove. Issue is that one arm is designed for tracking 4~8g and the other 8~12g. Anyone have a recommendation?

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:43 pm

rrrprod wrote:OK Bob you got me it was the 77's I was referring to. Don't know where I got 88
The CB-77 was the turntable only. The CB-88 was a complete package consisting of a CB-77, M5235 preamp w/ 3-position equalizer, Gray arm, and flipover cartridge with your choice of sapphire or diamond styli.

The CB-77 and CB-88 debuted in Catalog 93, in 1958.

I decided to edit this reply to forestall the question "How does he know that?" The answer is simple - I own a complete set of Gates catalogs from ca. 1950, when the catalog was a set of five small softcover catslogs (AM, FM, studio, remote, and communications) through Catalog 99, the final Gates catalog, from 1971. The first Harris broadcast catalog was Catalog 100, from 1973.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 am

And the CB 77 was the turntables I began my on air/assistant engineer career with. Ours had Micro-Trak tonearms added later on (I installed those) and we went from the Gray viscous damped and GE VR II to the Stanton 500 A on the Micro-Trak tonearms. Great for AM, too rumbly for FM use.