Moving station, looking for network help.

Where the magic happens...or something...
sgtsmo

Moving station, looking for network help.

Post by sgtsmo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello,
Just joined today. I have been at an FM station in Hereford TX (KNNK - 43,000 watt C2) for almost 3 years now. I was there in 2001 when the station was new, came back in 2010 when the owner died to help his wife run the station. I was operations manager up until this month, when the station was picked up on LMA by HPRN. They have about 45 stations and are in need of a tech for this station, which I speak, but have not been doing for several years.
Anyway, the building is two suites, basically. One has always been used as storage of the old owners junk. The new owner took me over after the first week and laid out his plan to switch the station to the unused part and rent out the other side. (What is strange is the side we are moving to is a more logical choice for a radio station.)
We plan on using what we have and just moving wiring into the new side. Should not be a problem since our equipment room is around the same distance. My problem comes from the network itself...The old owners were older people who didn't like upgrades, so we are not up-to-date (we are running 4 computers, all Windows XP off of Linksys 'B' wireless with 10/100 16 port switch). The new owners want everything linked and are adding at least 6 and up to 10 computers, some with Windows 7.
One of my questions is: Should we upgrade to 'N' router/switch config or would running the 'B' still be feasible? I did find a 'G' wireless modem and a 'G' bridge, but no router to go with them.
The othe question: Where would I locate my router and switch? Would it be more logical to have it in the equipment room? I have a small nook (builders mistake) in the hallway that is centrally located and at one time had a phone system there (POTS system, nothing special) that could be fixed up a little and could be used.
Just wondering if anyone could help me. Would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you,
Terry

Dale H. Cook

Re: Moving station, looking for network help.

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:43 pm

sgtsmo wrote:Should we upgrade to 'N' router/switch config or would running the 'B' still be feasible?
Why are you using wireless? You can move data a heck of a lot faster through a wired network with 1 GB NICs.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Yeah, the wireless designation doesn't mean anything if you're using Ethernet, which I suspect you are, and if you aren't, you need to be. You can have the WiFi available but if this is (or will be at some point will be) running digital audio you'll really need the bandwidth gigE provides. I'd get a decent gigabit switch and build from that.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

sgtsmo

Post by sgtsmo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Yeah, forgot to mention that. We will be running Ethernet to all computers in house, but we still need WiFi on occasion. Our GM is heading to one of the other stations to get some equipment will still need. Will let him know.

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:00 pm

If you just need Wifi "on occasion", G should be fine; neither A nor N is necessary unless it is, and you'd know cause something (or someone) would tell you.

B is Right Out. :-)

sgtsmo

Post by sgtsmo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:14 am

OK.
From where we stand now, it looks like we are going with a Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router and a Cisco SR2016 16-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch. I tested things out on a computer we use to stream our signal to the internet, take feeds ocassionally from a sister station (and every once in awhile someone opens a web browser) and the network usage was about 1% so i understand what you are saying about that. Thanks for the help. I am sure I will probably need more.

Terry