Sparta and LPB mixers

Where the magic happens...or something...
50ohmload

Sparta and LPB mixers

Post by 50ohmload » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:35 pm

I noticed several similarities between the LPB Signature series mixers and a Sparta mixer I came across recently. Do they have a common ancestry? Do modules from one work in the other?

Bill DeFelice

Re: Sparta and LPB mixers

Post by Bill DeFelice » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:44 am

From my experience the LPB modules plug into a backplane on the bottom pan of the mixer. All the Sparta mixers I've ever serviced had modules and are wired to terminal posts and have no edge connectors. I'm unaware if newer vintage Sparta consoles have plug-in modules.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

50ohmload

Post by 50ohmload » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am

This Sparta does have edge connectors. It appears that both the design of and the hardware inside the two mixers is remarkably similar. I say that without actually being able to compare them side-by-side (yet). The switches, large pots (actually step attenuators), transformers, and even transistors appear to be the same. I will have to try to get the model number and dig for a manual. The Sparta pull-out cards are physically larger and the circuits on them are more complex, so odds are they are not compatible with the LPB mixer - they may even have a different edge connector size.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Photos would help. I've seen the plug-in module approach on Cetec consoles so maybe this is a cousin.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

50ohmload

Post by 50ohmload » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:47 am

You can see Sparta pics at:
http://50ohmload.shutterfly.com/
I don't have detailed pics of the LPB cards or mixer, but I did post what I do have.

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Cetec and Sparta were sister makes under their common ownership in the 1970's which explains the similarities in their engineering.

50ohmload

Post by 50ohmload » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:21 pm

After having a careful look it is clear that everything is similar but different in the two.

So, if anyone out there is supporting a Sparta mixer of the same era, I can provide lots of spare parts - just PM me. Two power supplies, one complete mixer, lots of parts and the chassis of the other.