ISDN Line Noise

Where the magic happens...or something...
Sonar

ISDN Line Noise

Post by Sonar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Hey Gang,
I've got a few ISDN Receivers. The problem I'm having is I'm getting a lot of white noise across my lines, both ways. Is there a better setting than just the normal G.722 64/32 or do I have to blame the age of the phone lines and the dinosaur I'm forced to train? Sometimes I can cut it down with my EQ, but there has to be another solution than just turning down my highs. Help me Almighty Engineering Lords.
-Sonar

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: ISDN Line Noise

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 pm

It sounds like you're having sync issues. First off - make sure you aren't blasting the inputs on the encoder. Once the bits are all 1's there's nowhere to go! So try being conservative on your levels first thing!

With ISDN being digital data over copper, there is the possibility that the receiver is losing lock, but that would generally pop up as complete dropouts instead of static.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:58 am

try a different codec. G.722 does not hold sync in absence of audio. Otherwise, make sure the noise isn't on the audio input to begin with, you may not be able to hear high freq interferrence, but'll drive the codec nutz.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Sonar

Post by Sonar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks for the help, Guys! I've not really sat down and played with it, but those are great suggestions. I like my Comrex units better. Lol. I have three ISDN's and they all have their own character, like most equipment. The one good thing about them is the Zepher Server. That's really the only thing I think these guys have going for them. Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
-Sonar