Off Air Logging/Archiving

Where the magic happens...or something...
Bengineer

Off Air Logging/Archiving

Post by Bengineer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 pm

I need to find out a solution for an audio logger to monitor, and archive the station's air feed. In the past I have had experience with iMedia Logger that just ran on a basic PC server with a multi channel audio card and RF tuner, and also with the Telos Profiler client software. The Telos was running on a basic windows platform as well, but had individual cards for each stream that included closure inputs for skimming (to index and bitrate change when the jocks mic was on.)

In this new studio, sports talk format, I don't really have a need for skimming. Only a way to archive, and easily retrieve the audio from multiple sources. I need the audio to be accessed from multiple computers, not only from the server.

What are my best options and what have you had success with? Hardware based systems, or software based systems that run on a windows server?

Thanks,
Ben

grich

Re: Off Air Logging/Archiving

Post by grich » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:14 am

Only one of my clients is using a logger. I think it's the VRS logger from NCH Software. Haven't heard any complaints.

Marshall Stack

Post by Marshall Stack » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:47 pm

I have the VRS Logger running at several stations I'm responsible for,

Each is using the single radio station version which gives you three recording channels. I have one channel set up as a standard logger and one as a skimmer. The third is a spare if needed. All of these loggers are using Axia Livewire. Program Directors really like the on board web interface to access the skimmer audio for air checks.

MS

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:59 pm

The VRS logger looks like a great simple solution. I'm running the trial software and the only thing I don't particularly don't like is it appears to not be able to set encode rates(mp3, wav, etc) per channel. Is this just a limitation of the trial software?

Also the web interface allows users to delete files. Do you know if there is a way to disable this option?

When using your Axia livewire, do you just have a livewire card installed in the pc? I'm using Harris VistaMax system and not sure they have such an option like the livewire PC card. A simple multichannel sound card should do the trick though.

Thank you for the advise, it looks like this will work.

Marshall Stack

Post by Marshall Stack » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 pm

@ Bengineer

Unfortunately you can't adjust the encode rates on a per channel basis. Hopefully NCH will change that in a future release. I have 500GB drives in the logger boxes so lots of room for audio from two stations depending on encoding rate. If you look under the settings menu (on the main screen) under password settings you should be able to set up a password to keep the end user from deleting files without first entering that password. I don't have that option set up as I have two loggers running to avoid any non compliance with Canadian CRTC regulations. One logger is visible on the LAN for the programming dept, the other is cleverly hidden :wink: As for sound cards, where there is an Axia powered studio, the loggers have two NICs; one for the office LAN and the other on the Axia network with the Livewire IP driver. At the studio locations that are still analog, I use a Delta 44 or equivalent and have had no problems. I should also mention that the loggers are a mix of Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1 boxes.

MS