Newbie In A Studio

Where the magic happens...or something...
Baylink

Re: Newbie In A Studio

Post by Baylink » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 pm

The other day, I tripped over a site called octopart.com that looked really handy.

And in other news, now that I'm actually awake (or something like it): A toner and a *good, commercial tracing probe* are in fact the industry standard way of tracing cable, but understand that even with the good probe, you're going to have to get within, say, 3 or 4 inches of a bundle to know if there's a toned cable in that bundle; it's not like underground cable tracing, which applies tone measured in *watts*.

A "good, commercial tracing probe" would be the 701K set, or something else, on this page:

http://www.phonegeeks.com/tongenandpro.html

The two tricks to this are: you want a tone generator that generates square waves, which have a lot of messy harmonic content, and you want *not* to apply it to a twisted pair, if you have that option. If you're tracing XLRs, pick hot and shield, not hot and cold; you'll leak a lot more tone that way.

grich

Post by grich » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:51 am

Baylink wrote:...and you want *not* to apply it to a twisted pair, if you have that option. If you're tracing XLRs, pick hot and shield, not hot and cold; you'll leak a lot more tone that way.
Especially true if you are tracing CAT5 cable. Make your two toner connections to wires from different pairs and you'll have better results picking up the tone.

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 am

And I should also point out that tone tracing dead cables in your broadcast plant will tell you if you have any badly balanced or grounded cables that *are* carrying in-air signal in the same bundles. It's worthwhile to a) use the mode in your tracer that generates a chopped or euro-siren type tone and b) have a confederate listening to the transmitter input on cans. :-)