New to the VOIP/ATA/hybrid thing

Where the magic happens...or something...
Dave Labrecque

New to the VOIP/ATA/hybrid thing

Post by Dave Labrecque » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 am

First post. Help!

I have an Internet radio show/podcast client. She's been running phone audio right in/out of the headset RJ9 connector on her VOIP phone to her mixer. Some good, some bad results as you can imagine.

All she wants to do is call a guest and establish a connection at the start of each show, then keep him/her on for the duration of the show. Current thought, after some research, is to use an ATA (in place of the VOIP phone) into a hybrid with a POTS phone plugged into the hybrid to dial the call and establish the connection.

Question 1: so far so good?

I've seen it said that the specific VOIP protocol and codec employed can impact the quality and reliability of the calls.

Question(s) 2: True? Can anyone recommend particular protocols and codecs?

UPDATE: upon further reflection... I'm going to be pretty much stuck with whatever the VOIP provider is using for protocol and codec, I think. Is that right?

Many thanks,

Dave Labrecque
Labrecque Creative Sound
Becket, Massachusetts

davek

Re: New to the VOIP/ATA/hybrid thing

Post by davek » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:16 pm

What about this for an alternative: use a software-based ("softphone") VoIP program on a computer, and use that computer's sound card instead of a hybrid. Using a PC means the same audio connection can be used for Skype, etc.. as well.

As far as protocol and codec goes, you'll pretty much have to use the protocol the VoIP provider uses (normally SIP), but you should be able to choose which codec you want to use. G711 uLaw will give you better sounding audio, but at a higher bitrate. If you're finding the audio isn't stable, drop down to using something like G729 - lower bitrate but narrower audio response.

Dave Labrecque

Re: New to the VOIP/ATA/hybrid thing

Post by Dave Labrecque » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks, davek. We're already using the I/O of two computers to manage recording and streaming the show. Plus, we need to keep it as simple as possible for the operators. Dedicated hardware seems much more fool-proof. Interesting, though. I did not know about the software option.

Thanks very much for the input on protocol and codecs. Tell me... how is it that we can choose our own codec on our end? Is it not dependent on the codec on the other end -- as with an ISDN scenario?

Dave Labrecque
Labrecque Creative Sound
Becket, Massachusetts