Studer On-Air 1500 mix minus

Where the magic happens...or something...
proloy

Studer On-Air 1500 mix minus

Post by proloy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:55 am

Can someone help me to figure out mix-minus for phone hybrid in Studer On-Air 1500, we are using Telos Hx6 as phone hybrid.

Shane

Re: Studer On-Air 1500 mix minus

Post by Shane » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Looks like you take one of the auxiliary outputs (numbered 1 through 4 or 1/2 through 7/8) and feed that to the Telos Hybrid. On the console, select the chosen aux bus on each channel except the one where the Telos incoming audio (caller) is routed to.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

proloy

Post by proloy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:56 pm

We have 2 “N-X button (1, 2)”, we can set bus N-X 1/2 in each fader by selecting “N-X button (1, 2)”.

Our telos assigned on Alais/Fader 8 and configuration is below:

Alias: input 8
Input format: Stereo
Source (Left): Int, Slot 1, Mic, Ch.11
Source Right: Int, Slot 1, Mic, Ch.12
Line/Mic: Mic
Input Location: None
Signaling source: On
TBMicCut Enable: On
Audition Bus: Off
Timer Start: On
N-X Control/ TB Destination: N-X 3
Code Return Output: -
Code Return Source: -
Code Return Activation: Connect Never
External Route Destination: -
External CMS Fader: -

Our fader configuration is like:
1 – 4 for mic
5 – 6 for Player 1 & 2
7 for our local news
8 for Telos

Now plz advice, in which fader we enable N-X bus?

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Unfortunately, I'm guessing now but I'd say either on 8 or else everything except 8.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:44 am

The "mix-minus" is the send feed to the telephone line. Alex Bell's original 1876 idea for the telephone solved the mystery of sending audio both ways on the same pair of wires with the hybrid coil. The modern digital hybrid is a direct descendant--both use a phase reversal circuit to cancel out the send audio so it doesn't overpower the much weaker caller audio.

Soooo... the mix minus audio should just contain those elements you want the caller to hear--and not (minus) the incoming caller audio. On the older consoles, such as the legendary Autogram consoles, we would send our mike into audition as the mix minus feed, and bring back a combination of our local voice and the caller into program off something like a Gentner SP3 hybrid. Didn't work that well as the isolation between send and receive was not that great, so the local mike often sounded "phasey."

Easier with modern consoles that allow more than one bus to be fed at the same time. Now (as set up on my R55E or Auditronic 2500 consoles) I would feed the mike both to the mono feed to the hybrid send input, and to program at the same time. The incoming telephone audio would be brought in to another pot and sent just to program. Hence it is easier to balance the levels between local mike and caller--and if the cancellation of send audio is not great (match to the telephone affects this), you can pot down your local mike while the caller talks.

Now--back to your original question--the challenge is to figure out if the Studer mixer can do this.