Remoting sat receivers off site

Where the magic happens...or something...
Joe Friday

Remoting sat receivers off site

Post by Joe Friday » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:21 am

I have a client that is looking at a new studio building at an in town location. Due to the local geography, the best shot I can get to AMC-8 is right at the roof line of a 2 1/2 story building west of the new studio. Our tower site is about 1.5 miles away, and has an un-obstructed of the southern sky. We also have line of site between the studio and tower, however, it is a hot AM stick. Currently the FM is fed using a trombone type feed, and the STL is on an iso-coupler.

We will have a minimum of three XDS receivers, one with four channels used, and probably two channels each on the other two, for a total of 8 stereo channels, plus the associated contact closures.

I was thinking of using some audio codecs, like the Barix units to send the audio back over some unlicensed 5.8Ghz radios, but don't know how to deal with the contact closures.

Any and all thoughts welcome. Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this to.

Thanks,

Kevin

Deep Thought

Re: Remoting sat receivers off site

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:12 pm

Not sure about Barix but BRICLinks have contact closure inputs and outputs.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Some of the Comrex units have up to four closures...Met. Opera uses this system for stations that can't use the NPR satellite. More closures? A problem.
In theory should work--touch tone encode/decode devices. Worked well for me when I had to lash up 8 contact closures for a satellite program between studios. Of course requires unused audio channel. Otherwise you would be down to about 4 closures on the digital links.

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:31 pm

I had forgotten about DTMF...used that about 30 years ago when we brought sat programming back over leased line. The network was sending a combination of 25hz and 35hz tones. Will take up a few more audio channels, but it should work...thanks!

Kevin

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Actually, you have line of SIGHT between the SITES. Homonyms are such a pain. I'm led to chew on some pencil lead, which really isn't lead but graphite.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:48 pm

TPT wrote:Some of the Comrex units have up to four closures...Met. Opera uses this system for stations that can't use the NPR satellite. More closures? A problem.
In theory should work--touch tone encode/decode devices. Worked well for me when I had to lash up 8 contact closures for a satellite program between studios. Of course requires unused audio channel. Otherwise you would be down to about 4 closures on the digital links.
Is there aux serial data available? I just set up some of the Broadcast Tools SRC-16 units in paired mode using the serial ports on a Comrex Access system. However, I have not extensively tested this setup yet.

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Look at the Broadcast Tools DTE-16 plus--- generates 16 different tones. So--let's say you have three receivers that generate several closures each. One receiver uses 1 through 4, the next 5 through 9, and the third uses 10 through 16. This would only require one audio channel--the decoder then parses out each tone as a separate closure to your automation system.

The manual indicates that the tones can be mixed with audio and filtered out at the other end. Don't know how well that would work--but if one of the feeds is something like an hourly newscast it might be an alternative to tying up a full return channel.

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:13 pm

I would definately not use Barix for this. The sat feed is already compressed and Barix does not use the best version of MP3 coding so there will be the issue of cascading algorithims.

I would suggest either an Axia Xnode or the equivalent Wheatstone Blade. With Axia, a node will provide 4 AES stereo channels that can also be configured as 8 mono channels. You can include a GPIO node and get 30 closures. These nodes can be setup back to back as a wireless snake. This is a nice, clean system that will not degrade the sat feeds. Since you stated this is a client, I would think that you want to leave them with the cleanest possible system. The return path could be a backup STL or even replace the main STL. Should you happen to be going AOIP in the new studio, this would be a transparent addition.

One note about license free radios, you will want to set them up for minimum jitter by turning off various features, especialy channel hopping. Budget permitting, 11 gig licensed might be a safer bet. A Mimosa radio is pretty inexpensive and Ubiquity is releasing an 11 gig radio in the $700-$800 range.