Quote Review

Where the magic happens...or something...
AnabolicHippo

Quote Review

Post by AnabolicHippo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:34 am

Good Morning,

My station and I are looking to explore replacing existing consoles with IP consoles, approximate budget would be $100,000, and we were hoping to be able to replace the on-air and production studio. Looking at the quote, it doesn't seem like this is going to be possible. One point of concern for me though is that engineering costs are almost $50,000, which just doesn't seem right to me. If anybody could lend me some perspective, I certainly would appreciate it.

Thanks,
AH

KPJL FM

Re: Quote Review

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:51 am

Just two studios?
Is there some overwhelming feature to overcome with the studio's physical arrangement? (High up in the Himalayas ?)
$50K for engineering sounds a bit steep if all you're doing is replacing the electronics, unless this is a network hub or some such arrangement. At most, I would think one month of labor by one or two people should be enough to do the placement and wiring needed for an average on-air facility.
I've done a 5 room Wheatnet rebuild, there was quite a bit of room remodel before the electronics were installed. I don't think we spent more than $110K for all 5 rooms worth of electronics. Maybe a little more, when we added more computers for the jocks.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:18 am

Is this a turnkey quote? Is the engineering part from the same company that is supplying the equipment or is it a third-party integrator?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:15 pm

If it is a P.R.E. / Harris / Gates Air VistaMax system I can see burning up $50k in time just trying to wade through the gawd awful user interface that ftp uploads formated text files to make the consoles do anything.

The Wheatnet is by far my favorite but I have never installed an Axia setup so I can't comment on that one with any credibility. With the Wheatnet all of the audio is contained in the room of origin and the only thing between rooms is a couple of runs of Cat6 network cable. The builds go very fast and the setup is graphical and intuitive.

...Lee

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:14 pm

$50,000 of engineering 2 rooms with AOIP is pretty steep but I get the feeling there is some missing info. How complex are these rooms?

TPT

Post by TPT » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:09 am

Being one of the fossils on this board I see those install costs excessive. About 7 years ago this month I was building two studios --in a house--for a station we bought in October. Had to move out of the old studio space by the end of the year. I went analog with a pair of R55E's--because I was doing all the wiring the major cost was the consoles, wire and miscellaneous items. Well under $25K with furniture, sound proofing, rack, etc.--we had the STL's, mikes, monitor amps, etc. from the purchase plus an R60 we sold off. Granted, install was made easier as there was an unfinished garage under the two bedrooms we converted to studios--ran individual pairs, networking, telephone across the ceiling of the garage. This year, found a couple of lengths of Belden 27 pair multi-pair individually shielded cable. It's installed, will cut-over to it over Christmas then finish the ceiling in the garage. Leaves plenty of spare pairs for the future.

The real advantage of digital (not to get into an analog vs. digital flame war) is the ease of installation of multiple studios in a new build, or where the land lord objects to big holes in interior walls to accommodate thick bundles of wires for studio interconnect. By placing an A to D box in a rack for all the outside sources, CAT 5/6 can send the digitized sources to studios as needed. All the satellite networks, RPU receivers, codecs etc. can be in that same rack--and thus need to be wired only once into the system, instead of using DA's and multiple feeds to each studio.

Leaving the only in-studio wiring mikes, telephone hybrid, and monitor wiring. Perhaps a computer for automation music playback--but that could also be a server-terminal set-up if the automation system allows.

For two studios??? Heck, unless future plans are include a massive expansion I'd go analog...find some multi-pair shielded cables for studio interconnects, and spend the savings on a variety of audio toys.

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:49 am

Dunno. I could do two rooms digital for around $10 K.