If you could only have one pair of headphones...

Where the magic happens...or something...
KC8RYW

If you could only have one pair of headphones...

Post by KC8RYW » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:54 am

... what would they be?

I'd say Sony MDR-7506.

iMediaTouch_Guy

Post by iMediaTouch_Guy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:25 am

I'd go with MDR-7509 or it's consumer version, MDR-V600. I use the V600s and they are the best headphones I've ever used.
John R. Jordan, CRO, KJ4PPA
Jordan Broadcast Services
Computers, voice work and automation systems for radio

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:02 pm

Koss Pro-4/AA all the way. Heavy, built like a tank, and absolutely flat response. I keep a pair in the trunk! :)
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Tim Burke
Forum Jedi

Post by Tim Burke » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Oh please.... SONY? Apparently, none of you have used a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. GREATEST PAIR OF HEADPHONES that I've ever owned. One other great thing about those... Replaceable cord. When you're somewhat destructive like me... that's a big plus.

iMediaTouch_Guy

Post by iMediaTouch_Guy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:06 pm

Headphones, mics and speakers are all subjective compnents i.e. ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers. Whatever works and sounds best for YOU is what is best. There is no such thing as the best or ultimate becuase what may sound good to you may sound like crap to someone else. This debate has been on numerous audio forums such as this one with the same arguments/results. My recommedation is try several different pairs and see how the fit and sound to your listening/use habits. Amplifiers will and can color the sound you hear just as much as the individual headphones. Be sure to check the return policy or find a shop that will let you try them out before you buy.
John R. Jordan, CRO, KJ4PPA
Jordan Broadcast Services
Computers, voice work and automation systems for radio

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:34 pm

iMediaTouch_Guy wrote:I'd go with MDR-7509 or it's consumer version, MDR-V600. I use the V600s and they are the best headphones I've ever used.
I'll second the Sonys. I have the MDR-7506s. I love them!

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:01 am

timburke wrote:One other great thing about those... Replaceable cord. When you're somewhat destructive like me... that's a big plus.
Sennheiser HD-414's have an easy to replace cord too.

Yellow-foam-earpad-sexy.

:wink:

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:35 am

I always had issues with the HD-414's. Because they were open, I'd always get feedback when my mic was open. Of course, this was back in the 80's with all that on-air processing cranked to 11. You could whisper from the next room and pin the mod monitor!
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:10 pm

I didn't like open headphones when I did radio, mainly because I had to crank up the headphone amp to hear myself off the air, as opposed the direct sound. I liked to hear how I was hitting the processor.

Closed ear headphones work better at that. Except those Koss head-anchors. Sorry, but those literally made my neck hurt. The 'doc must have a stronger neck than I do! :-P

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:55 pm

I do now, thanks to the 4AA's! It's like weightlifting. For your head.

Dale H. Cook

Re: If you could only have one pair of headphones...

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:38 am

KC8RYW wrote:... what would they be?

I'd say Sony MDR-7506.
I prefer their predecessor, the MDR-V6, of which I own two pair.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

rrrprod

Re:

Post by rrrprod » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:44 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:I always had issues with the HD-414's. Because they were open, I'd always get feedback when my mic was open. Of course, this was back in the 80's with all that on-air processing cranked to 11. You could whisper from the next room and pin the mod monitor!
You bet baby!!! Crank it to the wall. I always loved the HD-414's too! And yes I had the same problem Doc mentioned because I would love to crank em' up! The PD would come in and complain about the squeal over the air.....but I still loved them cans. BSW had a sale on them a few years back but it was bogus. I ordered them and they kept telling me the didn't have them in stock. I finally gave up. Some people that were lucky enough to get them said they didn't sound as good as when they first manufactured them.
King Gain Rider

AudioEngineer

Post by AudioEngineer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:21 am

>>I prefer their predecessor, the MDR-V6, of which I own two pair.<<

Actually, the MDR-7506 was exactly the same headphone as the MDR-V6. The V6 was the consumer version, and the only difference between the two models was that the "professional" 7506 had a gold-plated jackplug and the V6 had silver.

They're great headphones. Never cared for the later V-600. I still like my AKG 241's.

-A
"Engineers who fry their ears, find themselves with short careers" -Unknown

73 de N1UJU

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:12 pm

I used the Sennheiser HD 414 headphones for many years, due to being physically challenged and having spasmodic torticollis among other issues. The Koss headphones the station supplied were murder on my neck muscles, the GM bought me the Sennheisers which made my job easier and my neck muscles less tired. My pair still function some over 30 years later though retired from working life. I now use AKG K 240 headphones in working life.

Conelrad

Post by Conelrad » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:14 am

MDR-7506.

Dennis