PPM vs VU

Where the magic happens...or something...

Which metering style do you prefer?

PPM
11%
VU
89%

Total votes: 19

KC8RYW

PPM vs VU

Post by KC8RYW » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Which do you prefer?

I prefer PPM.

I'm sure this should bring up some interesting discussion.

eadler

Re: PPM vs VU

Post by eadler » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Both. Yes, both at once.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:14 pm

I prefer the combination of VU and Dorrough Loudness Meter in daily life.

Conelrad

Post by Conelrad » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:14 am

Kent T wrote:I prefer the combination of VU and Dorrough Loudness Meter in daily life.
+1

Dennis

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:30 pm

If I have to pick one, it would be VU. A PPM can't tell you anything about average level or density. Having said that, in the digital world it's good to have both and PPM is nearly a necessity. Waveform editors with only a PPM indication, such as Adobe Audition, are OK because the waveform makes a nice substitute for the VU meter giving you a visual indication of density.

In a recording with varying densities, such as un- or lightly-processed voice interspersed with music, I've gotten to be pretty good at guessing to what to normalize each segment so that the usually more dense musical parts don't blast compared to the thinner voice parts. Very general rule I go by is to normalize peaky speech to 90-98% and dense music to 55%. That mostly makes it come out alright on a VU meter (and my ears), if one of those is monitoring the playback.

I have a pair of those trained ears which can hear a 1dB difference in level so I'm pretty sensitive to small average level differences.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

gstephens

Post by gstephens » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Definitely VU. When set up right you shouldn't have to normalise or watch peak levels in the digital domain.

When using a balanced audio adaptor that puts out +24dBu, if you set a sine wave tone through your console at 0VU the output will usually be +4dBu. So to match that headroom of 20dB it should peak the digital full scale meter on your PC at -20dB. This gives you the full 20dB headroom with enough room for love production use. Music hovers peak around -12dB for heavy compressed tracks to -6dB for uncompressed voice etc... All while a proper VU sits around zero.

I don't normalise but rather amplify files to get my VU meters at 0 regardless of peaks.

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:02 pm

[ insert rant about people who dub back from -20dBFS to analog without bringing the -20dB back up to 0VU here ]

Yes; it's disturbingly common. Well, ok, not in broadcast...

Conelrad

Post by Conelrad » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:03 pm

VU is winning out, so I gotta' ask:

"A" or "B" scale?

DG