HD Studio thoughts

Cha-Ching!!
Tim B

HD Studio thoughts

Post by Tim B » Wed May 19, 2010 4:16 pm

I am looking to use some equipment from our other stations to help buid out an HD studio. We have 6 Final cut pro machines running ver. 5 with the Kona LH boxes to put out HD-SDI or a generic MPEG file to be transcoded to Avid Media Stream servers. I have Telestream Flip Factory (Traffic Manager) to do the transcode. The Macs that are running FCP are G5. I am considering upgradeing, even though FCP seems like overkill to edit news stories.I'm sure i'm missing some things here and any thought on what those are would be helpful.

rockmanac

Re: HD Studio thoughts

Post by rockmanac » Wed May 19, 2010 10:03 pm

Tim B wrote:I am looking to use some equipment from our other stations to help buid out an HD studio. We have 6 Final cut pro machines running ver. 5 with the Kona LH boxes to put out HD-SDI or a generic MPEG file to be transcoded to Avid Media Stream servers. I have Telestream Flip Factory (Traffic Manager) to do the transcode. The Macs that are running FCP are G5. I am considering upgradeing, even though FCP seems like overkill to edit news stories.I'm sure i'm missing some things here and any thought on what those are would be helpful.
You want Intel Mac Pros to do HD. Trust me on this.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

eadler

Re: HD Studio thoughts

Post by eadler » Mon May 24, 2010 12:48 pm

I talked to Apple recently and they didn't even want to sell me licenses for the OS required to use the latest FCP (also the latest OS to support G5s).

Edit: Well... they wouldn't sell me the upgrade retail box with media and all... I suppose if I had media, they might sell me a license.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler