Sonifex Micro HS X hdr cartridge machine

Cha-Ching!!
Sode

Sonifex Micro HS X hdr cartridge machine

Post by Sode » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:50 am

Hi
I have just bought a couple of cart machines.
Does anyone know where to find the manuals for Them?
I also have a recording unit and i Would like to know What the bottons: BIAS, CUE, Sec, Ter does on the Recorder unit.
I hope someone Can help.
My machines are:
Sonifex Micro HS X hdr
Sonifex HSR-X2

Regards
Thomas
Attachments
14DF556C-E9D7-4027-B847-581DE70D3851.jpeg

TPT

Re: Sonifex Micro HS X hdr cartridge machine

Post by TPT » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 am

Basic "Cart Machine 101." A cart machine uses a two track head (three track if stereo). One track for audio, one for cueing. When a cart is recorded, a short 1,000 hz. tone burst is recorded on the cue track when the recording is started....when the continuous loop tape cartridge comes back around to the same point the tone stops the cart, cueing up the cart.

The secondary and tertiary buttons record two different tones on the cue track. Secondary 150 hz. and I believe the tertiary was 4 khz. The sec. tone traditionally used for "EOM" closures to an automation system. Tertiary tones often used for special functions. One example--changing slides in an AV/display to correspond to the audio narration on a long cart.

The bias button is used, I assume, to set the bias adjustment on the recording machine.

The cue button on some cart players sent the deck into double speed mode (standard playback speed is 7 1/2 IPS) to re-cue the cart faster. Handy when some idiot puts one 30 second spot on a 2 1/2 minute cart.

Sode

Post by Sode » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am

Thank you so much TPT.
That cleared some of my questions.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Judging only from the picture, I think the Bias and Cue switches switch the meter out of record level to a relative reading of the bias level, and the audio present on the cue track.

I don’t know if anyone else ever used this method when dubbing audio to carts and nobody taught it to me, but I would use the Cue monitoring function of the meter to tell me if I started the to-be-dubbed audio too late or too soon. The trick was to get the audio to start near the middle of the Cue tone, which was usually 1 second duration.

If I hit the audio to soon, I wouldn’t have to wait for the cart to burp on recue—I already knew that dub was a bust and could get on with erasing the cart again, etc.

So the math added up to about 1/4 second for “reaction time” to the stop tone followed by another 1/4 second of silence as brief dead roll before the start of audio. Because we recued carts at regular speed and at high speed the extra 1/4 second at the beginning kept the carts from upcutting the start. So that meter setting was helpful to me in the recording process.

I might have been a bit OCD with that job!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---