Production Software

Cha-Ching!!

What software to you use for production?

Pro Tools
3%
Adobe Audition
78%
Saw
No votes
Audacity (Free is Good!)
8%
Sound Forge
8%
I'm old school. Gimme a razor blade!
5%

Total votes: 40

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: Production Software

Post by BroadcastDoc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:05 am

Welcome to the board!! Glad to have you here.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:57 am

Ampex 350 and a razor blade.
(I haven't had to do production for 25 years... 8) )
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:55 pm

I appreciate the comments on the newer version of Adobe Audition. We use 1.5. I have used up to 10 tracks at times but that's probably just because I can be really inefficient when doing multi-track editing. I have purchased a newer version of Adobe but am kind of afraid to try it after some of the stuff I've read here and elsewhere.

Cool Edit 96 was the pinnacle of cheap recording software, IMHO. I no longer have any copies of it around but even after we went to CE2000 I kept 96 loaded on some machines for certain functions it just did better. One of those was time stretch. 2000 will include some editable glitches even if you screw around with the setting forever or use the defaults. I found a lower frequency than the default worked (works) better but still not as clean as the time stretches with 96 were.

Another thing 96 could do was permit saving selections of individual tracks/channels while still recording. 2000 broke the individual channel capability. I used to use it to dub cassette recorded programs into automation two at a time at double speed and get 4 done in the space of 1.

Adobe must have had it in for the Save Selection function, too. In 1.5 the Alt-keyboard shortcuts for Save Selection and Save As... were changed. I used to use them a lot so it took a long while to get used to the change. 1.0 had preserved the old shortcut. As well, every Windows program uses the same Alt-shortcut for Save As... until Adobe just had to change it. Since I still use 2000, too, I have just had to abandon using that shortcut sequence - too much for my brain to adjust to.

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:53 am

I have Cool Edit 2000 at home on a Vista machine with no plans to upgrade Cool Edit/Adobe.

We have nothing but Adobe here at WGGH, it's on the computers in all 3 of our studios (on air studio, production room and long form programming recording studio)

boogieman

Post by boogieman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:42 pm

I use CEP 2.0 and there is really nothing I haven't been able to do with it. Also have CE2k, but CEP seems to open and save MP3 a LOT faster. I can also use a razor blade and editing block if need be.
"It wasn't me... it was like that when I came in!"

Leembruggen

Reaper

Post by Leembruggen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Rockmanac: "Has anyone checked out Reaper? I've been messing with it. It's not a bad little editor. http://www.reaper.fm

Nice find Rockmanac. I like their simple, no bugs approach. I've been looking for a MIDI editor. Outstanding for the money.

rockmanac

Re: Reaper

Post by rockmanac » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Leembruggen wrote:Rockmanac: "Has anyone checked out Reaper? I've been messing with it. It's not a bad little editor. http://www.reaper.fm

Nice find Rockmanac. I like their simple, no bugs approach. I've been looking for a MIDI editor. Outstanding for the money.
Heh. I forgot about them! I've just been using Audacity on my MBP.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:03 am

My clients use Audition 1.5 - it does everything that they need, and they see no reason to pay for an upgrade that they don't need.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

ajstriker

Post by ajstriker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:18 am

On the suject of Reaper...

I have actually repurposed Reaper into a live software audio console. Combine that with a 3.3Ghz Core i3 running Win 7 x64, MOTU rack gear, TightVNC, and a laptop, and you have a pretty beefy "no snake" digital audio console wirelessly controlled by the laptop. And clean (24-bit, 48kHz) and stable as heck! I've been running it nonstop since July with no issues yet.

Plus all I have to do is hit the big red button to record all incoming tracks for the band later.
There's always room for a bigger amplifier!

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 am

I learned SAW 16 and 32 versions on my own. I have not had to use them in years. I also self taught myself Cool Edit into Adobe and I am now on 3.0. I love it. Way more features then the lesser products. Pro Tools seems way over used for a radio production studio but I am just an older guy who like to hard code HTML and things too.

NZScott

Post by NZScott » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:41 pm

We use SSL Soundscape for serious work but Audition comes in handy if we just want to do a quick 2 track edit.

Scott
Auckland New Zealand

davek

Post by davek » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:41 am

Wow .. I haven't seen the name SoundScape for a very long time. In fact, the last time I had anything to do with it was when I used it in a production studio back in 1999. SoundScape was *THE* most rock-solid and reliable DAW I ever came across. I used to feel so sorry for those suckers running Pro Tools (which crashed several times a day).

NZScott

Post by NZScott » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I’ve been using Soundscape since 1996 and it’s 8ttrack version. it’s now owned by SSL and can simultaneously record 128 tracks on one DSP card via fiber MADI. It’s still rock solid really nice SSL plugins.

Scott Gillen
N0HOK /ZL1CHM
Audio Engineer / Head of Audio Production
RBGI Auckland New Zealand