Production Software

Cha-Ching!!

What software to you use for production?

Pro Tools
3%
Adobe Audition
78%
Saw
No votes
Audacity (Free is Good!)
8%
Sound Forge
8%
I'm old school. Gimme a razor blade!
5%

Total votes: 40

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Production Software

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:59 pm

We run a ProTools shop (I'm a Mac guy). What do you like best?
Last edited by BroadcastDoc on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Smokeybehr

Post by Smokeybehr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:33 pm

I've been using Sound Forge for a long time for everything, and it's worked great for me. I've tried Audacity, but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted to, so I gave up on it.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:36 pm

I do like Audacity for down and dirty quick editing. Since I'm not a production guru, I can't tell much of a difference. I have Pro-Tools running in my office (simply so I can be the Guinea Pig when OS patches come out) but it's like driving a Ferrari at 25 MPH. I don't use 98% of what it can do!

:)
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:53 pm

You haven't lived until you've tried to do ADR with ProTools talking Beta machine commands (because that's all it supports) to a DVCpro25 deck. :lol:

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:01 am

Oh I'd say I lived OK!! ;)

Tim Burke
Forum Jedi

Post by Tim Burke » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:13 am

Honestly, I really like working with Audition. It's simple, quick, and supports a wide variety of file formats. Audition 2.0 sucks though... way too overloaded. I prefer Audition 1.5, or hell, even Cool Edit Pro 2.0!

Of course... there's always VoxPro though... that's another story...

iMediaTouch_Guy

Post by iMediaTouch_Guy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 am

Despite what some say about Audition 2.0 it's pretty good. I've been using it since it came out. I even still use 1.0 and 1.5 depending on the project. I just got 3.0 and so far it looks impressive, but be prepared to have a beefy PC especially if you want to do any video or HD with it.
John R. Jordan, CRO, KJ4PPA
Jordan Broadcast Services
Computers, voice work and automation systems for radio

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:26 pm

I still have a copy of the very first digital editor software that I ever used - FastEddie. Though it is very basic, it is an outstanding basic digital editor. Very much like Audacity.

KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:06 pm

I remember starting off using SAW on Windows 3.1.

Oh, man. what a blast.

There was no waveform view when dragging the elements around in multitrack, so that made editing a little tough.

If I remember correctly, there were only four tracks maximum.

leaderofthefreeworld

Post by leaderofthefreeworld » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:41 am

KC8RYW wrote:I remember starting off using SAW on Windows 3.1.

Oh, man. what a blast.

There was no waveform view when dragging the elements around in multitrack, so that made editing a little tough.

If I remember correctly, there were only four tracks maximum.
SAW was to audio editing what EDLIN was to text editing, it worked but using it felt the same as getting kicked in the nuts.

I remember when I found CoolEdit 96 and finally had something that I could really work with. Then moved up to Cooledit 2000, and then Pro.

And you only need 4 tracks for editing, anything more is just cake, I did the technical editing of a 5 hour, 5 part NPR show on 4 tracks and had no problems.

ajstriker

Post by ajstriker » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:35 pm

When I worked @ WPVL-Platteville, all we had was SAW. I got so frustrated with it I started recording stuff on it and taking the tracks home to edit. then bringing them back and loading them on the on-air computer. I used a huge, cluncky USB hard drive for the transfer, and it was still more efficient than trying to edit on the SAW. I had Cool Edit Pro at home at that time.

WSUP (UW Platteville's Student Radio Station) had Sonic Solutions, which was AWESOME, except if they caught me in there doing commercial editing in there, I would have been kicked off of staff.
There's always room for a bigger amplifier!

Lox

Post by Lox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:21 pm

When I arrived at the station, the guys were using the original Cool Edit Pro...I've since upgraded them to Adobe Audition 2.0.

Bob actually uses the old Reel-to-Reel to edit stuff occasionally 8)

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:50 pm

Cool Edit Pro..oops.. Adobe Audition!

Btw.. Has anyone checked out Reaper? I've been messing with it. It's not a bad little editor. http://www.reaper.fm

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

Drew

Post by Drew » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:16 am

I prefer Adobe Audition. With just a few simple tweaks it could have been be my perfect audio editor. I like the idea that I can create/reassign my own keyboard shortcuts for common tasks (M=Mixdown, Z=Zoom to highlight, V=Amplify/Fade etc). I have one occasion used more than four tracks.

I did download Reaper and will play with it when time allows.

prodmaster

Re: Production Software

Post by prodmaster » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:24 am

Hi guys! This is my first post.
I started using Cool Edit (can't recall the version, it was 1999) and now I'm sticking with Adobe Audition 1.5
I tried 2.0 & 3.0 , use 3.0 at home for music creation, but at work, I find that I can do whatever I need to do more efficiently and quickly with the
1.5 version. I created my own shortcuts and having been using this software for so long, colleagues and clients always get impressed by the speed and quality results
I present them everytime we work!
I have to agree that version 2 & 3 are somewhat cluttered, for example, why do I have to name and save a file just to try a mixdown?
Anyway, I hope we 'll be talking more often,

regards,

Jimmy

P.s. I have used as many as 10 tracks quite a lot 8)