Advice on choice...

Overworked. Underpaid. The few, the proud, the Masta Controlla's
gas

Advice on choice...

Post by gas » Mon May 24, 2010 9:10 am

Hi all,
I'm in a crossroad at the moment. I have to make a descision which manufacturer should i pick. I have made a study for each technology. I'd like to hear a word from you people that used some of this equipment. Multiviewers: Miranda (Kaleido X16), Harris (Predator II-GX), Evertz (VIP Series). Routers: Evertz (Xenon), Harris (Platinum MX), Utah (400SD). Any known pros and/or cons? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

w9wi

Re: Advice on choice...

Post by w9wi » Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 pm

The Evertz VIP works nicely & is reliable, but the configuration software is not exactly user-friendly.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

eadler

Post by eadler » Mon May 24, 2010 2:02 pm

From what I've heard from everyone who owns any of these multiviewers, they're all capable and they all show scaling artifacts* on high frequency video (hey, it's a fact of scaling). Miranda has an interesting new multiviewer-on-a-card that I might select for some of our operations if I were replacing the existing multiviewers we have.

*assuming you're scaling down a bunch of HDs to fit on an HD display, if you're just moving SDs around an HD display at their original res, you shouldn't see this on any of these products.

As for routers, we have an older nVision. Miranda bought nVision and is releasing a new system that looks interesting. I wouldn't buy a new router system that will not do up/down/cross internally and does not do embed/disembed internally.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

gas

Post by gas » Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks both for your input... and more from colleagues would be welcome

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue May 25, 2010 12:37 am

I have heard really good things about the Platnum MX series routers. Mind you how Harris support is, it's still supposed to be a nice router.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 pm

On a multiviewer, one thing to check is how well it interfaces with your production switcher. Ross Vision switchers, for example, can talk directly with a number of multiviewers.

We have an Evertz Xenon HD-SDI router here in Syracuse; it works well enough, but was not easy to configure. I wrote the software that controls it, and the serial protocol is straightforward. Although theoretically the router can be configured through a network connection, this was problematic... and I wound up using the RS232 port instead. Setting up the LCD-button control panels was a real head-scratcher, possibly because the panel we ordered was newer than the documentation.

On the other hand, I have deployed a number of Leitch routers over the years, and they are generally quite easy to set up. Some of our more recent Panaceas have been somewhat quirky with the clean/quiet switching... no particular pattern to it, and it happens infrequently enough to make troubleshooting a pain. Harris doesn't seem to have deviated from Leitch's design philosophy.

I suppose I would opt for difficult configuration if that's what it takes to get a stable routing platform...

-- Jeff

goodsimphone

Post by goodsimphone » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:07 am

can talk directly with a number of multiviewers.
จีคลับผ่านเว็บ