Sat Feed Trouble Numbers

Overworked. Underpaid. The few, the proud, the Masta Controlla's
KC8RYW

Sat Feed Trouble Numbers

Post by KC8RYW » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:46 pm

The other day an analog feed I was catching had horrible echo in the audio. Both the stereo audio subcarriers and the mono subcarrier.

I called up the trouble number, and the guy gave the usual response "I'm hearing it just fine on my end -- it must be your equipment. No, you can't have another analog refeed, but you can order a tape." :shock:

Next day, we get a fax that there are going to be TWO analog re-feeds of it due to technical problems. Maybe it really wasn't my equipment. :roll:

Has anyone else gotten blown off by TOC people before?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:21 pm

I was once told "It's only a problem when New York has a problem". Being from Milwaukee I guess we don't care about quality. Of course that blown off thing has me wondering.... :oops:

rockmanac

Re: Sat Feed Trouble Numbers

Post by rockmanac » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:35 pm

KC8RYW wrote:Has anyone else gotten blown off by TOC people before?
Yup. I was once told by NBC BOC-NY that the problem was on my end and I needed to call our engineer (the same one who had just told me to call NBC). Thing was that we needed THEM to do a reset of our NET1R receiver (or something like that).

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:26 pm

Now a days NBC doesn't even touch the receivers anymore. You need something done, its a call to Ascent Media.
And repairs, outside of dish work (i.e. receiver replacement) is now done by the in house staff...
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Lox

Post by Lox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:12 pm

A couple of months ago, we had a similar issue with ABC. They were changing our bit-rate on their sat feed (lowering it I might add), and I made all the changes they requested we do to our reciever before the big switch.

Right after they changed bit-rates, the audio feed went crazy...there was constant stuttering, so I call up their tech guys and he tells me to reset the reciever, the problem is on my end, no one else has reported any issues, etc etc.

2 hours later they finally send out another fax claiming they were returning to the original bit-rate, and then things were back to normal.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:27 pm

What rate were they changing? I installed the new ABC digital rack for our ABC affiliate in New Haven, CT. The audio rate or the symbol rate?

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Lox

Post by Lox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:41 pm

Audio rate, I believe.

It was for the Country Coast to Coast network.

Lox

Post by Lox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:50 pm

Also...it may have been more than just a couple of months ago. My perception of time can be a bit off.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:05 pm

I remember that! It didn't affect me, but I know our internal email list was burning up about it. They wanted to reduce the rate to squeeze more channels in or something.

Epic Fail.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:14 pm

Oh you're talking about ABC Radio, I was thinking you meant ABC Television. This is the Master Control forum which made me assume that it was telelvision, my bad!

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:35 pm

First of all let me state that I REALLY like the folks at ABC, (Dave et all), but I used to get SO frustrated when they would make some changes to their 5.1 encoding that would create lipsync in the Saturday movie. Of course then the blitz of nasty E-mails from viewers would be sitting in my In Box on Monday.

Sometimes after they would make changes to the configurations without communicating the changes, I would have to reset the Tandberg HD IRD to get things back in order.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Kelly wrote:First of all let me state that I REALLY like the folks at ABC, (Dave et all), but I used to get SO frustrated when they would make some changes to their 5.1 encoding that would create lipsync in the Saturday movie. Of course then the blitz of nasty E-mails from viewers would be sitting in my In Box on Monday.

Sometimes after they would make changes to the configurations without communicating the changes, I would have to reset the Tandberg HD IRD to get things back in order.
I assume you are talking about Dave Teeter?
Dave helped me out tremendously, and I helped ABC out in return during the initial digital phases when they where having those non-linear HPA faults on their uplink. (I'd get called to relook at the spectrum analyzer on the feed etc...)

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 pm

Yes I was speaking about Dave Teeter at ABC. A good guy!

So what were the effects on the receive end when this non-linear thing was happening? Back in the last season of Monday Night Football, we were having fits, (along with our viewers), with glitches in the HD net feed about every few minutes. After swapping out the IRD, and even replacing the LNB, we never could make the problem go away, then it suddenly stopped. Some stations seemed to be effected more than others, as I was talking with John at KABC in LA who was not seeing the problem as frequently as I was.