Collins KWM-1

Ham it up!
Shane

Collins KWM-1

Post by Shane » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:32 pm

In a short-circuited attempt to become more active in amateur radio again, I did what I always do: buy rigs and then don't use them much.

One I bought was a beautiful KWM-1. I have acquired a power supply that should work with it but haven't found time to try it all and part of the problem is that I'm missing a key thing: a connector socket for the chassis mounted plug on the back of the rig.

This is a long shot but I thought I'd see if anyone had one or knew where I could get one. Somebody is selling some on eBay but what they want for them rivals the price of the power supply! OR if you have any tips on getting power into the rig by way of bypassing the connector. The connecting isn't the issue - so I think - but ingress and egress for the cabling without removing the connector, and whether that's wise with 800V B+.

Truth be told, I'm not comfortable with the 800V being on one of that connector's itty bitty pins but I guess it's done it before and survived.

Since I will soon be moving (see post in Everything Else forum-NOT leaving Omaha) this rig, and others, could also be for sale. PM me in you'd like info. It may take me a few days to respond.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ve7cn

Re: Collins KWM-1

Post by ve7cn » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello,
Do you still have your KWM-1 ? I just acquired an estate and could check for plugs. I'd also like to know if you are selling the radio. I have a few power supplies, one AC and one DC but want to keep them with my KWM-1. I'll check for connectors.
David VE7CN 604-781-1773

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:38 pm

YES, David! Very interested. Not planning to sell it just now. I'd like to get it up and running and give it a go. So I'd be interested in a connector. I bought a Heathkit power supply which is basically a knock-off of the Collins supply - supplies the same voltages, etc. It has a 12 pin round connector - like an octal but with 12 pins, IIRC. (I think we used to call them Compactrons.)

I would make a cable to go from the 12-pin round plug to the Collins-style socket which fits into the plug on the back of the KWM-1. I don't believe I have the 12-pin plug either but I think they are more easily found.

I could be in the market for a power supply to put with it, but since I already have a supply that would only be so I'd have a complete set to re-sell. Not at that point yet!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Wait one... The Heathkit connector might be an 11 pin. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAN ... 0926700903
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---