Interested in Ham Radio

Ham it up!
TechGuy

Interested in Ham Radio

Post by TechGuy » Fri May 27, 2016 2:15 pm

I am extremely interested in getting into Ham radio. However, the task of "where to begin" has me at a loss. I understand I need to pass certain tests prior to actually participating. Can anyone guide me to a practical first step? For instance what is a good book to start with? Or maybe a good Ham guide? For now I am looking for help with books/guidance to learn the art of ham. Once I have a decent grasp on the concepts and can pass the tests
I'm sure I will have to ask more questions regarding equipment and so forth. I have read many of the threads in the AM section over the years and believe there is quite a lot of knowledge that can be learned from the people on this site

A little bit about me: I've been working for an electronics company for a little over 6 years, started in production where I became fascinated with the electronics and read every book I could get my hands on. With the help of a great mentor/the chief engineer I was able to get a decent grasp on electronics (RF included) and have been with the test/calibration department for about 4 or 5 years(I would like to think my "grasp" has increased significantly over that time). I find AM radio to be quite fascinating (it may not be the "best" band or best sounding but it's down right cool). I have been to a couple Tx locations and many NAB shows. It's amazing how much you can learn by being a fly on the wall while some great engineers discuss jobs they have worked or are working.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: Interested in Ham Radio

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sun May 29, 2016 5:27 pm

If you want to get a "feel" for the exams, qrz.com has practice tests online. It's a good way to get an idea of what you're up against. The ARRL has study guides as well, and you can often find a copy at your local library.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

kkiddkkidd

Re: Interested in Ham Radio

Post by kkiddkkidd » Mon May 30, 2016 2:10 pm

See if there is a local ham club and join or pop into a meeting. The ARRL also has (or at least had) a listing of Elmers that covered almost every area. There are also a number of email reflectors dedicated to ham radio in general and absolutely every different aspect of it. Like this forum, there are lots of good folks around to help TNG.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com