That time of year for ducting

Trying for the big catch?
countrykev

That time of year for ducting

Post by countrykev » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:43 am

Driving around Madison today hearing Jason Mraz on 106.7FM thinking "That's not right..."

I was hearing WXXL from Orlando, FL. Scanning the dial I picked up WAPE Jacksonville, WRBQ Tampa, FL, and WBTP Tampa, FL.
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

K9EZ
Site Admin

Re: That time of year for ducting

Post by K9EZ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:58 am

countrykev wrote:Driving around Madison today hearing Jason Mraz on 106.7FM thinking "That's not right..."

I was hearing WXXL from Orlando, FL. Scanning the dial I picked up WAPE Jacksonville, WRBQ Tampa, FL, and WBTP Tampa, FL.
Thats more like Sporadic E. Jeremy Andres said he picked up a Sarasota, FL in HD.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:00 pm

WIBA (Madison, WI) clearly audible on 101.5 above the usual suspects WBNQ (Bloomington, IL) and WNSN (South Bend) tonight when I was headed home at 9 PM.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:12 am

countrykev wrote:Driving around Madison today hearing Jason Mraz on 106.7FM thinking "That's not right..."

I just mentioned that to the PD of WAPE....he got a kick out of it.

themarcshow

Post by themarcshow » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:22 pm

I got an email friday from a guy who heard one of our 100kW FM's for 20 minutes from I-95 on the North Carolina-South Carolina border.
Transmitter is in south central Nebraska.
Approx distance: 1,147 miles.

We've had multiple reception reports over the years from the Carolinas around this time of year.

Last year I got a phone call from the Bahamas from someone getting a loud and clear signal.
Distance 1,636 miles. I was skeptical but they had call letters and what was playing on the air. (that was before the websites had streaming or now playing info.
Brad Beahm
Operations Manager Platte River Radio
Hastings, Ne
kd0jct

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:52 am

themarcshow wrote:I got an email friday from a guy who heard one of our 100kW FM's for 20 minutes from I-95 on the North Carolina-South Carolina border.

We've had multiple reception reports over the years from the Carolinas around this time of year.

Last year I got a phone call from the Bahamas from someone getting a loud and clear signal.
Distance 1,636 miles. I was skeptical but they had call letters and what was playing on the air. (that was before the websites had streaming or now playing info.
From Wikipedia:
On June 25, 2007, Paul Farley in Sussex, UK received CJCN, Grand Falls Canada on channel A4 (67.25MHz) at a distance of 3,000 miles (4,800 km) via multi-hop Sporadic E. Signals were clear enough to watch and listen to the evening Newshour programme.[21] The following day he received WUND Edenton, USA at a distance of 3,750 miles (6,040 km).
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:20 am

K9EZ wrote:
themarcshow wrote:I got an email friday from a guy who heard one of our 100kW FM's for 20 minutes from I-95 on the North Carolina-South Carolina border.

From Wikipedia:
On June 25, 2007, Paul Farley in Sussex, UK received CJCN, Grand Falls Canada on channel A4 (67.25MHz) at a distance of 3,000 miles (4,800 km) via multi-hop Sporadic E. Signals were clear enough to watch and listen to the evening Newshour programme.[21] The following day he received WUND Edenton, USA at a distance of 3,750 miles (6,040 km).
Heck, in 2003 he had trans-Atlantic *FM* reception - WHCF 88.5 Bangor, Maine. I've heard the recording, it's a clear legal ID.
http://www.dxradio.co.uk/transatlanticfm.html
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66