AM dx from the crystal coast

Trying for the big catch?
KI4JQM

AM dx from the crystal coast

Post by KI4JQM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:24 pm

I was out on Harker's Island, NC today. Tried real hard to get some North East stations. The only one I could pull in was 660 am WFAN, on the car radio. It was moderately strong. Out on the Oak Island ferry, it's like a local there. Oh well...

w4cl

Re: AM dx from the crystal coast

Post by w4cl » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 am

From the NC Outer Banks directly across the ocean, NYC isn't that far. Back in the 60's along that same stretch of beaches WAPE Jacksonville, FL was always local during the day being stronger than many of the local AM stations.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:47 pm

I have listened to WAPE while sitting in the daylight at Topsail beach just this year. I can sometimes get them as far inland as Fayetteville
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

KI4JQM

Post by KI4JQM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:55 pm

I got WFAN clearly just at the edge of the surf, across from the Cape Lookout lighthouse. As soon as I went inland just a mile or so, it went away. The coolest DX was a few years ago aboard the Oak Island Ferry. The Fan was slamming in, even tearing up adjacent frequencies. Wish I had time on this trip for a ferry ride.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:32 am

Salt water paths. The bane of my coastal existence... :(
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:55 am

1521 Saudi Arabia and 891 Algeria are killer on the coast. I used to have 2 FMs near Topsail Beach, and could do a little DXIng when I got doen with the stations.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:45 pm

I've been hearing the 1 kHz het on WWKB every night. A couple of times where a 'KB fade was coupled with a 1521 maximum, I could make out some "Charlie Brown teacher" audio underneath. I've never had an analog tuner handy (Superradio) to better isolate this catch. To have selectable sideband...
What's that do....?

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Dave Loudin wrote:I've been hearing the 1 kHz het on WWKB every night. A couple of times where a 'KB fade was coupled with a 1521 maximum, I could make out some "Charlie Brown teacher" audio underneath. I've never had an analog tuner handy (Superradio) to better isolate this catch. To have selectable sideband...
I've found that switching my superadio to wideband and slightly detuning will fix a lot of that. Still don't know the physics of why.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Here in Ft Lauderdale, 530 in Turks and Caicos is killer even during the day. In the morning drive in, I tune in 810 ZNS3 form the Bahamas. Love the tropical accents and the Cricket scores. Even 690 from Cuba is pretty big. I am surprised that WAPE is not in there.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC