Got DX?

Trying for the big catch?
NECRAT
Site Admin

Got DX?

Post by NECRAT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:51 am

And yes, those red blotches are accurate... The last four-five days have been one hell of tropo openings.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Dale H. Cook

Re: Got DX?

Post by Dale H. Cook » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:47 am

That one from BWI to Labrador looks mighty familiar - I've seen variants of that affecting BosWash a number of times, and it leads to consternation among inexperienced FM engineers (and their GMs) when their outer coverage gets whomped by the tropo.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Down here in the south, DX has been crap. With Isaac coming in, it looks to be getting better for the short run.

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:42 am

The map on my screen has BWI off the right end so I'm not seeing the BWI-Labrador path. Is it my browser or is Dale able to see things that are invisible? Dale, I'm starting to think that may be true about you. :)

Ah, wait one. When I go to reply the entire map becomes visible. Must be the browser.

So now, I'm looking at the site whence this screen shot was taken. It doesn't have a time stamp that I can tell. How old is a given screen, Mike? (Looks like E Neb is out of the loop today but could be in later.)

I'm more interested now since I have more ability to actually do something with these tropo openings thanks to my Fossil-recommended lighten-my-wallet trip to AES 2 weeks ago!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 pm

It was taken date & time that I posted it.

Mon 08 27, 2012 02:51

Last night was dead-band, no DX. How weird is it to hear open channels on the FM dial.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 pm

Shane wrote:Is it my browser or is Dale able to see things that are invisible?
I'm not psychic (Psycho, maybe, but not psychic).
Shane wrote:Ah, wait one. When I go to reply the entire map becomes visible. Must be the browser.
I just clicked on the image to display it without the rest of the page - my laptop screen has lower rez than my desktop, so that was the easy way to see the whole map (I'm on the road and will be home tonight. I'm used to dealing with different resolutions at home and on the road.)
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

chrish

Post by chrish » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:30 pm

On early Monday morning 8-26 I did a switchover from Comcast for a rescan on one of my HDTV's which is temporarily on an old pair of rabbit ears ( had to remove the roof antenna while they reshingled ) and to my amazment I had
47 hits. On the rabbit ears the most I have ever seen is 20. In Southern NH everything from Boston and Providence, Some NYC and Philadelphia, others I never got to identify including a virtual channel 24 with four Spanish streams
As usual zero NH VHF, if it wasn't for the trees I would probably see Mt. Uncanoonuc. No WMUR period though no problem with Telemundo 60. Without Comcast I would never see NHPTV, VHF HD 11 from Saddleback is out of the question though their analog 11 signal was excellent

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Looks like things are hopping on the East Coast tonight.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:12 am

chrish wrote:On early Monday morning 8-26 I did a switchover from Comcast for a rescan on one of my HDTV's which is temporarily on an old pair of rabbit ears ( had to remove the roof antenna while they reshingled ) and to my amazment I had
47 hits. On the rabbit ears the most I have ever seen is 20. In Southern NH everything from Boston and Providence, Some NYC and Philadelphia, others I never got to identify including a virtual channel 24 with four Spanish streams
As usual zero NH VHF, if it wasn't for the trees I would probably see Mt. Uncanoonuc. No WMUR period though no problem with Telemundo 60. Without Comcast I would never see NHPTV, VHF HD 11 from Saddleback is out of the question though their analog 11 signal was excellent

Sure glad they are saving all of that power on the VHF band. idiots.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC