Three quick stories - one I posted a few years ago here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=488
The other two involve BTF-20s. The above AEL story reminded me of a troubleshooting session where three of us had the rig opened up and had removed one or more of the bleeders. Can't remember why but there was a good reason. After cycling power once I dutifully went around to the back to discharge HV. I do distincly remember thinking, "I wonder if I can skip this. This rig NEVER gives me the slightest bit of spark when I use the shorting stick." It was overnight, probably one or two in the morning, when one is more likely to not think straight.
But I not only did my duty with the stick, but was also loudly reminded that we had the bleeders out, what they were for, and that they normally did their jobs very well. My first reaction was shock (fortunately the mental kind, not the physical kind). Second reaction was, "Hey, that was cool." Third reaction was, "I'm awake now!"
Next BTF story: This one a backup transmitter at a separate site. I came out to do a check and regular clean-out of the rig. When I opened the back, I saw that mice had taken air filter material and created a nice warm home on the floor of the rig. Of course, when I disturbed their home they scattered everywhere. So I cleaned up the mess, put new filters in, closed it up and prepared to fire it up.
At some point there was either an unusual noise when the blower came on, or I got as far as "plate on" and a zap - I can't recall which now - but something made me turn it back off and open the PA cabinet. There is a small opening with a grill over it at the bottom of the PA cabinet for air to enter. Peering into the opening I see a piece of mouse stuck to the grill and said to myself, "That's an ASS!" Which was accurate except it was only part of one. One of the fleeing mice earlier had crawled into the blower cage.
I don't remember what gave me this idea but the next thing I did was try to clear the mess by leaving the PA cabinet door open, standing back, and turning the filaments back on. While this did clear out a bunch of the mess, it did so by splattering even more guts on the underside of the grill. And smell!
This was at the end of the work day so I decided to open up the rig as much as possible and leave it with the building fan thermostat turned down to allow the place to vent and came back the next day with help to finish cleaning up the mess. I think that included removing the blower and cleaning all the blades in the cage.