Huzzah!

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
countrykev

Huzzah!

Post by countrykev » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:32 pm

So we moved Delilah over to the Premiere XDS box last week, since Premiere finally gave the okay.

They missed a closure during last night's show and I actually got them to ADMIT IT!

Rarely do I get a network to admit a mistake. Usually I hear "Well, you're the first one to call..."
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

Deep Thought

Re: Huzzah!

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:17 pm

Heh...when I started making and selling subaudible tone decoders back in the early '90s I would get flurries of calls from people saying that the decoder was messing up and the network blamed my box. I quickly learned to ask which network and program(s) they took, and match up the calls. Then I'd call the network. Of course, nothing ever goes wrong on their end and as they attempted to pass the buck back to me I would say "well, eight of your affiliates reported this to me this morning and since it is practically impossible for eight different units in eight different locations to fail in exactly the same way at exactly the same time and then un-fail in a similar simultaneous manner, something tells me it's on your end".

Worked every time. :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

countrykev

Post by countrykev » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Speaking of which, would you believe I just pressed one of your decoders back into service? Long story short, it's being used to confirm a tone and light a tally that is being sent down a private webstream.

themarcshow

Post by themarcshow » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:58 pm

I got ABC to admit to an ESPN Radio fault!
I called ABC's tech line to see about not getting End Of Game closures on my XDS for NBA basketball. Apparently I wasn't the only one to call about it. The tech I talked knew way too quickly that ESPN didn't send the closure to ABC to send to the bird. He seemed to indicate they'd had that discussion with ESPN before to no avail.

Also a couple weeks ago Premier sent me an XDS with a bad tuner. It wouldn't lock on to anything an gave me no EB #. After quite a few calls that always ended in "are you using an amplified splitter, try an amplified splitter." I got them to send a replacement by hooking their XDS straight to the dish to prove we had plenty of signal.
The replacement works fine even through an unamplified splitter! :D
Brad Beahm
Operations Manager Platte River Radio
Hastings, Ne
kd0jct

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:35 pm

countrykev wrote:So we moved Delilah over to the Premiere XDS box last week, since Premiere finally gave the okay.

They missed a closure during last night's show and I actually got them to ADMIT IT!

Rarely do I get a network to admit a mistake. Usually I hear "Well, you're the first one to call..."
Was it 9:35PM? Got an email about it today. Oh please, please tell me it was 9:35!!

:)
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Sing with me!

Deeeeliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilaaaaaaaaaaah.

countrykev

Post by countrykev » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:33 pm

9:35PM Eastern, 8:35PM Central...

Also, was I the only one that got burned by not catching the weekend closures are different than the weekdays? Sunday jock called me at 7:30 wondering why they missed the break.

Oops...

Thankfully with the new XDS boxes let you program more than one closure for an output.

And I hold back any comment on the show that gives me diabetes just listening to it...

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:14 pm

countrykev wrote:Speaking of which, would you believe I just pressed one of your decoders back into service? Long story short, it's being used to confirm a tone and light a tally that is being sent down a private webstream.
We still sell those things, albeit not in the quantities we used to. My wife, who stuffs and solders the boards, is not terribly sad about that... :lol:

And re: Delilah. Has there ever been a sappier program on the radio, ever? Ever? Even 10 seconds makes my teeth hurt.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:55 pm

countrykev wrote:9:35PM Eastern, 8:35PM Central...

Also, was I the only one that got burned by not catching the weekend closures are different than the weekdays? Sunday jock called me at 7:30 wondering why they missed the break.

Oops...

Thankfully with the new XDS boxes let you program more than one closure for an output.

And I hold back any comment on the show that gives me diabetes just listening to it...
Yes, I got that call as well! :oops:
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:08 am

Too bad the ABC XDS's log, as far as I can tell, doesn't show closures. Only seems to show what's "playing" or "recording" on what port.
Had to log onto one of our XDS to double check that. Nice feature however to check on and control an XDS or MAX while sitting at home when the wrong program is on the air.

A little XDS gotcha in their scheduler. IF the network changes the format clock of a program in any way, you MUST go back in and re-schedule it!
Otherwise it'll just vanish from the calendar. We had Costas and Rush disappear a couple weekend ago.

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:38 pm

We had a problem with the XDS Reciever here.. but Im not exactly sure whos fault it was exactly.

We just had some roof work done and the dish was moved and had some work done to it. Remember, unlike the Starguides where you get an automatic program feed, the XDS just gives you an announcement and a test tone to confirm everything is hooked up correctly. You have to cal land get it authorized.

The XDS receiver was installed and connected while they finished up on the roof. The boss left for a break between 10am and 12noon, thinking everything was OK.

The station RECORDS the ABC News feed around 45 after using the AIRFORCE automation system and plays it back whenever the last song of the hour ends (sometimes its at 00:30, 01:15, etc).. and it records REGARDLESS of what is coming down the channel.

Guess what happened at 11am?

"This is the test channel for the XDS receiver...........beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" went out over the air where the news shoulda been.......I was sitting in my office when I heard it and rushed into the studio and pressed F11 to advance both the automation systems for the Am and FM.

I told everyone in the building that if it happened again and I wasn't around, to just go into the studio and hit F11. (I was the only air person in the building at the time it happened the first time)

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Hope everyone survived Premiere's XDS adventure today. make sure you've got the update they sent down (& re-booted the XDS) Sunday to fix a daylight savings problem.

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 am

boiseengineer wrote:Hope everyone survived Premiere's XDS adventure today. make sure you've got the update they sent down (& re-booted the XDS) Sunday to fix a daylight savings problem.
Luckily, we don't have an XDS recv'r where I work now so we didn't have to deal with that.. lol

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:34 am

boiseengineer wrote:Hope everyone survived Premiere's XDS adventure today. make sure you've got the update they sent down (& re-booted the XDS) Sunday to fix a daylight savings problem.
To which version? Mine are 0.5.9 from March 10th.

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:08 pm

That's good. 0.5.9 seems to be the latest & greatest version.
Last edited by boiseengineer(old) on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.