Murphy became a fan of Avid.

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
Post Reply
User avatar
NECRAT
Site Admin
Posts: 2949
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: Taunton, MA
Contact:

Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by NECRAT » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:57 pm

Go figure Avid Playback 1, runs smooth all day and early evening when all the IT people are here, but at the top of the 10pm newscast, when I am the only one left in the building, it decides to go stupid. Go Figure. Thank you Murphy. Your laws are stupid. There I said it.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

w9wi
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:40 am
Location: Pleasant View, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by w9wi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:15 am

NECRAT wrote:Go figure Avid Playback 1, runs smooth all day and early evening when all the IT people are here, but at the top of the 10pm newscast, when I am the only one left in the building, it decides to go stupid. Go Figure. Thank you Murphy. Your laws are stupid. There I said it.
It could be worse: you could work for Murphy. I did for 13 years: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... OiNPmM9xDg*

Which playback? Airspeed? They *are* weird little boxes. Can't say ours have been troublefree either...

* Really a good company to work for, but if anything could go wrong it did.....
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

User avatar
K9EZ
Site Admin
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by K9EZ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:44 pm

w9wi wrote:
NECRAT wrote:Go figure Avid Playback 1, runs smooth all day and early evening when all the IT people are here, but at the top of the 10pm newscast, when I am the only one left in the building, it decides to go stupid. Go Figure. Thank you Murphy. Your laws are stupid. There I said it.
It could be worse: you could work for Murphy. I did for 13 years: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... OiNPmM9xDg*

Which playback? Airspeed? They *are* weird little boxes. Can't say ours have been troublefree either...

* Really a good company to work for, but if anything could go wrong it did.....

I used to work for a division of Morgan Murphy whatever... RW Video. I guess this is what is left of the company: http://www.bobwickhem.com/

AVID boxes are stupid (IMHO) and very operator UNfriendly.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

w9wi
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:40 am
Location: Pleasant View, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by w9wi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:17 pm

K9EZ wrote:I used to work for a division of Morgan Murphy whatever... RW Video. I guess this is what is left of the company: http://www.bobwickhem.com/

AVID boxes are stupid (IMHO) and very operator UNfriendly.
In the building on Hammersley Road, along the Beltline?

Used to be the channel 3 studios. Now, it's a bicycle business of some kind. (and a nice stopping point along the trail on the way back out to the parking lot in Verona)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

User avatar
rockmanac
Moderator
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:18 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by rockmanac » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:27 am

w9wi wrote:
K9EZ wrote:I used to work for a division of Morgan Murphy whatever... RW Video. I guess this is what is left of the company: http://www.bobwickhem.com/

AVID boxes are stupid (IMHO) and very operator UNfriendly.
In the building on Hammersley Road, along the Beltline?

Used to be the channel 3 studios. Now, it's a bicycle business of some kind. (and a nice stopping point along the trail on the way back out to the parking lot in Verona)
Wait.. So 3 used to be in the Pacific Cycle building??!! There studio out on Raymond Road in "Morgan Murphy Park" looks like it's been there since at least the 70's. Though it makes sense if they'd of been right there... The other 3 Madison licensed stations are right there along the belt, too. (Though we're not really along it, seeing as we have Odana between us and the Beltline, whereas 15 & 47 don't.)

...Janesville licensed Ch. 57 is somewhere in Madison these days. I think down by south Park St.

And yes, I hate Avid boxes. They are operator unfriendly. We have 2 of them. They like to crash at the worst time possible. Like when the Avid trianed engineer is out of the state.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

w9wi
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:40 am
Location: Pleasant View, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by w9wi » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:30 am

rockmanac wrote:
w9wi wrote:[quote="K9EZ"
Wait.. So 3 used to be in the Pacific Cycle building??!! There studio out on Raymond Road in "Morgan Murphy Park" looks like it's been there since at least the 70's. Though it makes sense if they'd of been right there...
Yep. It was built for the TV station -- in 1957, I believe. At the time, the Beltline wasn't a freeway; the address was 4801 West Beltline.

The Raymond Road facility went online in early 1981.

The station actually went on the air in 1956 from the metal building under the backup tower. It didn't stay there very long though. (a metal studio building is an acoustic disaster during a storm!)

Have you seen the WKOW 50th Anniversary booklet?
And yes, I hate Avid boxes. They are operator unfriendly. We have 2 of them. They like to crash at the worst time possible. Like when the Avid trianed engineer is out of the state.
Our station is quite dependent on the things. Ten news edit bays, three promo bays, plus one each in the control room and Promos. And a Unity system for media storage and playout. Like anything PC, they crash. Usually at the worst time.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

User avatar
rockmanac
Moderator
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:18 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by rockmanac » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:51 am

w9wi wrote:Have you seen the WKOW 50th Anniversary booklet?
Yep. I have. There's actually several boxes of them up in one of the offices (now storage room) in old Weather Central. We found them cleaning out the storage rooms.
Our station is quite dependent on the things. Ten news edit bays, three promo bays, plus one each in the control room and Promos. And a Unity system for media storage and playout. Like anything PC, they crash. Usually at the worst time.
What interface are you using in the control room to the system? We have Control Air controlling the Airspeeds and every month or so I'll randomly get a crash that requires a full reboot of the workstation. Same, actually, on the side of it that's controlling the Deko.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

User avatar
countrykev
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Not Wisconsin, eh?
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by countrykev » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 am

What little I know of Madison broadcasting history, yes, WISC used to be in what is now the Pacific Cycle building. That was a long time ago, though. The tower behind what is now their studios on Raymond Road used to be 1000 feet (and had their antenna on it), but was dismantled down to what remains shortly after the Candelabra went up. I have a lovely view of it from my front door :P

The WBUW studios/offices are on Syene Road, just adjacent to the Park Street interchange at the Beltline, and you can see it exiting EB Beltline to Southbound 14. It's very nondescript. Only thing that gives it away are the satellite dishes.
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

w9wi
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:40 am
Location: Pleasant View, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by w9wi » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:08 pm

rockmanac wrote:
w9wi wrote:Have you seen the WKOW 50th Anniversary booklet?
Yep. I have. There's actually several boxes of them up in one of the offices (now storage room) in old Weather Central. We found them cleaning out the storage rooms.
Good. Steve Zimmerman sent me two copies when they came out. Quite interesting. (I already knew a lot of the history of the TV station but there was some new info about the radio station, now better known as WTSO.)
What interface are you using in the control room to the system? We have Control Air controlling the Airspeeds and every month or so I'll randomly get a crash that requires a full reboot of the workstation. Same, actually, on the side of it that's controlling the Deko.
Grass Valley Ignite. It's actually VERY reliable.

We ran Sundance for awhile. (same thing WISC runs for their MCR automation, at least last time I was up there) Somewhat less reliable. (and incidentially, now part of Avid)

We used ControlAir to run a Chyron Duet for a year or so. Didn't really have much trouble with that.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

User avatar
K9EZ
Site Admin
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Murphy became a fan of Avid.

Post by K9EZ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:46 pm

w9wi wrote:
K9EZ wrote:I used to work for a division of Morgan Murphy whatever... RW Video. I guess this is what is left of the company: http://www.bobwickhem.com/

AVID boxes are stupid (IMHO) and very operator UNfriendly.
In the building on Hammersley Road, along the Beltline?

Used to be the channel 3 studios. Now, it's a bicycle business of some kind. (and a nice stopping point along the trail on the way back out to the parking lot in Verona)

Yup! Hammersley Rd. Yes it was Ch 3 atone time. We also had a suite in Milwaukee, where I spent most of my time.

Avid.... after working with Premiere and FCP, I looked at Avid and said Bub bye. Those 2 are soooooo much easier to work with.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

Post Reply