Unrealistic expectations for maintenance

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
eadler

Re: Unrealistic expectations for maintenance

Post by eadler » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:35 pm

rockmanac wrote:You'd be shocked at the number of people who get offended if the first questions are "it's plugged in?" and "you've rebooted?"
There are certain products that I get quite upset if the first question is "Have you reset it". Mind you, these are core-critical products that we have high dollar value service contracts with the manufacturers for and they very well know that "reset" often means "go off the air" or "change your broadcast schedule" for a troubleshooting step that shouldn't be necessary (at least, not that early in the 'tree'). When we've analyzed the symptoms and the logs and tried a few things that don't require taking a critical system down and "well, let's reset it and see if that changes anything" or "this is a known issue and a reset will fix it" comes out, it's a bit different -- especially if it includes "we have a patch available that you can apply to prevent this issue from recurring".
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

eadler

Post by eadler » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:38 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:Unknown to me, my grand daughter was lurking over my shoulder and said - "grampa, you are trying to enter data on the computer with the calculator"-(unheard as she muttered under her breath - "you dummy"!) Try using the laptops keyboard!
Sounds like you need something like one of these. (I should really get one of these myself one of these days -- I hate the fake numpad on most notebook keyboards)
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

KE0MI

Post by KE0MI » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 am

I'm sure that someone else has had this:

The RCA TT-25BLLA was off the air. The GM comes back and asks us to put up a trouble slide, because the receptionist is being inundated by viewer calls to tell us we are off the air!

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 pm

KE0MI wrote:The RCA TT-25BLLA was off the air. The GM comes back and asks us to put up a trouble slide, because the receptionist is being inundated by viewer calls to tell us we are off the air!
Oh, my goodness. Had the exact same experience nearly thirty years ago with our TT-11AH and program director. Now that I think about it, that fellow must have been the prototype for Dilbert's pointy-haired boss, both visually and intellectually.

He demanded that I restart the transmitter immediately; I started to tell him I couldn't, but he cut me off, marched over to the remote and started pressing buttons. About thirty seconds later the red phone started ringing, so I just handed it over to him and listened as the chief drilled him several new orifices. He had been working inside the transmitter replacing one of the rectifier stacks when the Moseley's stepper motor started chattering, and made record time getting out.

It was weeks before the PD dared to come back into the control room.

-- Jeff

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Since a lot of equipment nowadays have those thin touch pad controls you could probably get away with a printed button that says "RESET".

Chris from Milwaukee

Post by Chris from Milwaukee » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 pm

ChuckG wrote:You mean like re-locating the controls on a certain analog audio processor so non-functional trim pots can be installed in their place so a certain PD can tweak for hours? Naah. No such stories.
The phrase " There! I can hear the difference!" took on a certain humor. :lol:
It's like that everywhere. I had a situation where there was an epic battle: The guests said the pool room was always too cold and the GM said that the gas bill was too warm. We had a consultant from Johnson Controls staying at my hotel and I got to chit-chatting with him about this problem. His solution was simple, install a "dummy thermostat". So I went out and bought a $10 Honeywell round thermostat and just screwed it into the wall... no connections at all. And left it for the occupants of the pool to play with. Sure enough, every time I went into the pool that thing was jacked up to 11 but the cool thing was there was never a complaint about the temperature of the room once the "dummy" was there. I have recently tried this trick at one of the older properties that now care for and sure enough... the tenants jack the "dummy" every time but the building's temp is controlled by a thermostat in an undisclosed location.

Chuck, you are also a genius!
Chris from Milwaukee
Feeding Broadcast Engineers Worldwide
(And transmitter salesmen too!)

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:33 am

(I can vouch for the effectiveness of this solution...)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 am

Almost a parallel to the "PHYSCO-ACOUSTIC EFFECT". You know, monster cable, #6-#8 terminated in 1/8" gold plated tip jacks. There exists a noticeable degradation of the audio if they are not gold plated. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fossil

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 am

Meh - Bob Surette and the crew proved that barbed wire is just as good an audio conductor at a WBA Nuts and Bolts session a few years ago, as I recall :D

Best,

Jeff