How many studio crew does it take to change a light bulb?

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
PID_Stop

How many studio crew does it take to change a light bulb?

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

Got an email first thing this morning that the entire tally system that drives the six "on air" lights around our studios had gone dead, and that news people were wandering into the studio unaware (a condition having nothing to do with the lights, in some cases).

Walked around and verified that yes indeed, none of the on-air lights are working.

Checked the computer-based machine control system that generates the tally logic. Works fine.

Checked the interface board that converts RS232 from the computer to contact closures. Works fine.

Checked the circuit breaker for the AC that powers the lights. Looks good.

Checked the solid state contactors that power the lights. This involves moving a bunch of crap in the studio and climbing a ladder, unscrewing the cover on the box, and checking things with a meter. Contactors work fine. Started to reattach the cover, dropped a screw, climbed down, found the screw where it had rolled under more crap, climbed back up, replaced the cover, climbed back down, put the ladder away, and moved the crap back where it was.

Opened up one of the lights, unscrewed the bulb, and checked the socket with my meter. I had just read the previous thread about flashes and explosions, so you can imagine how carefully I was doing this. Yup... 119 volts.

You see where this is headed: all six lamps had in fact burned out. And unless the bulb rapture occured last night and I didn't get the memo, our intrepid studio crew apparently didn't think it worthwhile to change burned out bulbs. Yes, I should have started there... it just never occurred to me that they would have let ALL SIX STINKING BULBS DIE WITHOUT CHANGING THEM WHEN THEY BLEW.

:x

Annoyed? Me??? Not at all... but I just got six LED bulbs and a can of red Rustoleum from Home Depot, so this ought to be the last time for this particular problem.

:roll:

-- Jeff

</on line therapy session>

Deep Thought

Re: How many studio crew does it take to change a light bulb

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Good grief... :shock:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Deep Thought wrote:Good grief... :shock:
I know. You still have a "studio crew"??
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 am

NECRAT wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:Good grief... :shock:
I know. You still have a "studio crew"??
Yup. Between news shows, a live variety show and a live sports show, we produce better than eight hours of content a day (less on weekends)... not counting specials, both in the studio and remotes. There are some things you just can't do practically or well with robotics, especially when the shows span two full studios, a smaller green-screen studio, an outdoor set, and the newsroom. At least we aren't still hauling General Electric PE-350 cameras around any more (that's what we had when I started... keeping them shaded halfway decently kept one engineer constantly occupied).

-- Jeff

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:47 am

Well Jeff.

This struck me earlier this week. Call from head director, tally system in the studio is "dead". Walk to the studio door, On Air light next to door is indeed unlit, along with the in studio light. After looking at the GPI/O bridge behind the set, seeing a closure there. Walked out a different door, noticed the light there was in fact, "on".
Go back to the first light... and sure enough. The studio door side light has two small bulbs in, both burned out.

Which leads me to this answer.

Q:How many studio crew does it change a light bulb?
A:None, but One Engineer can do it in 10 minutes.

Thought you'd get a laugh out of the irony of this situation.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 am

That's no coincidence -- must be the solar flares burning out all these studio on-air lights.

Why not? Our news department has been blaming everything else on them. Of course, half the department probably thinks solar flares are what troopers set out around night-time traffic accidents. :lol:

-- Jeff

boogieman

Post by boogieman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 am

You know, that is just plain WEIRD! When you see SIX OA lights stop working at the same time, you almost automatically discount the bulbs burning out. You almost know it's a bad relay, broken wire to the console, ANYTHING but ALL the bulbs failing in unison. That's the total irony of this situation... you know to always check the simple/obvious things first, in this case, the bulbs, but the brain says otherwise.
"It wasn't me... it was like that when I came in!"

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:42 pm

I think nobody noticed the lights going out one by one. Normal for people to ignore them anyway.

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:06 pm

boiseengineer wrote:I think nobody noticed the lights going out one by one. Normal for people to ignore them anyway.
That sounds more likely. We had that happen with control room lights. 3 lights went out and, well, no one seemed to notice until a producer got mad that she couldn't see the keyboard anymore.

Then they replaced the lights.

...and it's WAY too bright in there now.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

eadler

Post by eadler » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 am

rockmanac wrote:...and it's WAY too bright in there now.
And this is why no one complained when the first two lights failed. They liked it a bit subdued 8)
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Replacing the old CW T-12's with the high output daylights will get their attention! :twisted: