Pack-rats

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
grich

Pack-rats

Post by grich » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:00 am

It seems most engineers are pack-rats. I've been slowly taking 'the cure" for the last year or so...realizing that 30-year-old chunk of whatever in the corner has NO CHANCE of making an emergency fix to today's broadcast gear. At my contract sites, I have to overcome all of the previous engineer's hoarding. In the process of throwing stuff out, one does find something interesting (pardon the crappy cell-phone pictures)...

This station had a 44 mounted on a nice display board, they sold it to a collector. Hope they don't need the replacement ribbon.
When was the last time you lapped a head? :)
Never, for me...I remember sending some Scully 270 heads away for relapping back in the 80's...

boiseengineer(old)

Re: Pack-rats

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Keeping the one I have. May need to touch up machines used for archiving.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:25 pm

I re-lapped a bunch of IT 850 decks back in the 80's and I still have the kit to use for the Otari I use for archiving.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

grich

Post by grich » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:07 pm

So, you guys wanna talk to the owner and negotiate a price for the lapping stuff? Never know when you're gonna need a few extra sheets of sandpaper. :mrgreen:

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Just relapped heads on 5 ReVox PR 99 decks. Use them for Christmas Music and oldies programming when the satellite dish goes Tango Uniform.