Telco company being untruthful

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
NECRAT
Site Admin

Telco company being untruthful

Post by NECRAT » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 pm

I know, a shock right.

Our STL is done via a fiber from the studio to the transmitter, the fiber is done via Verizon. We do have a 13GHz microwave path as a backup only. (We never want to use as a primary, due to rain fade).

Anyways, the other day, we went off the air, with no other indication that the RF drive was off. I got out to the transmitter, we returned to the air. About an hour later, same thing. No RF drive, I go in, see the main exciter is muted. I switch over to the backup exciter, we go back on. I notice the fiber level is -29.5db. The main exciter unmutes, and all is happy.
Normally, the fiber level is -27.2. Ok fastforward to the synopsis. We are still at -27.2db on the fiber, and still on the air, with no hits. The two hits we did take, were exactly at half hour marks. 1:30, and 2:30. Both caused the level to drop below the threshold which the fiber decoder "decodes".

Also another piece of info is the path. Our path is Studio ("transmitter") -> Dedham CO -> Needham CO -> Tower ("receiver")

According to the night side engineer, who had been conducting the tests, the fiber pair between the COs is 6db down, and we should schedule a time when they can switch it. Also he believes that the -27.2 level is "at the low threshold". He believes someone may have moved a cable which caused the level to drop below the point.

Next day, talk to the dayside guy, he denies 100% of that information. Claims the level is good, claims there are no issues between the COs. And claims we won't have any fiber changes, unless we take another hit, AND they have a tech at all four points (transmitter, 2COs, and receiver). I explained to him to talk to the night side guy.

I love it, someone is clearly either misleading me, outright lying to me, or has bad information. Why would a professional company, like the phone company, play stupid games with our circuit (which is considered a "critical TV circuit" mind you) like that? What is the gain in fighting me, when their issue forced us to go off the air?

(And before it get asked, no we do not run the transmitter in auto exciter change over due to the fact one exciter has M-H/H on it, and the other doesn't, and they aren't interfaced with the transmitter yet.)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Deep Thought

Re: Telco company being untruthful

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 am

Sounds less like a company truth issue and more like a lazy tech not wanting to do the paperwork or the actual work to fix it. Happens everywhere, unfortunately. The "dayside guy" is almost certainly high seniority (especially compared to the night guy) and doesn't like it when someone lower on the pecking order points out a fault he should have found himself.

So goes the wonderful world of deregulated telecom. Thanks Ronnie!
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:34 am

Betcha this "magically" gets fixed. :-)

I assume this is a dry pair, right?

(Let me expand on this: it's not at all uncommon for services provided by *tariffed* carriers to have problems which "nobody can find", which then "magically clear themselves up in a couple days after you report them" -- even if they were problematic for weeks before hand. The reason for this, we've always thought, is that tarriffed carriers *have to report their won/loss ratio and ticket counts* to their tarriffing agency annually, and they're monkeying the numbers. This has always applied to voice services, but I would assume it applies to other tariffed services as well, such as dark fiber.

I have to confess to some surprise you're getting dark fiber from an RBOC -- if in fact that's what you're using. Or is this a clear-channel OC circuit?)

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:46 pm

I don't even try to keep track of the number of 'cleared while testing' reports we get back on circuit failures. That is the most common ticket resolution I see. There is the occasional 'fiber cut' or 'card failure', usually, though it is the good old 'cleared while testing'. Doesn't matter the circuit, either - From OC-something down to a T1. Voice or data.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 pm

And now you know... the rest of the story.

Good day.