Fun with Remote Desktop

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
RadioGuy13

Fun with Remote Desktop

Post by RadioGuy13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:10 am

Headed out on vacation one day, I tune into the AM that I was programming at the time. The ball game with a sold out load of commercials was supposed to come on and didn't. Board op neglected to show.

I pull into a parking lot, plug my iPhone into my car stereo aux jack and dial into the studio ISDN which is fed pre-delay at all times. One ring later, I now have pre-delay booming into my car speakers. Next, I set up my wi-fi hotspot on my iPhone and get my laptop out of the trunk. I remote desktop into the automation system and take control of the station. I log into the satellite receiver web interface and flip the channel to the game. Luckily this particular receiver is wired directly into the switcher and I could put it on the air with a click of the mouse. After dropping a few commands into the log, every time I hit the play command manually it muted the game and returned to the feed after the spots. I even dropped in some generic crowd noise as the last element in the breaks with an immediate crossfade in case the break was a second or two short after the station ID.

Hundreds of miles from the station, I spent the next 4 hours driving down the interstates at 75 miles an hour listening to the network feed while hitting the breaks from my laptop on the front seat. Hit every cue and mark, flawless game!

Anybody else have similar "fun" with VNC or remote desktop?

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: Fun with Remote Desktop

Post by BroadcastDoc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:15 am

True story (will not name names to protect the guilty!)

Working at a station doing some work on an audio switcher. I need to go to the automation server and label an input on the switcher. I log in via VNC and oddly see the playback screen of one of the stations. Did a little digging and found out that a jock was doing a remote and wanted a "countdown" from the studio, and because the automation workstations can't see the internet, he installed LogMeIn on the server and then logged in to the studio via VNC. Broke about 100 rules, but I thought it was pretty resourceful! :-)
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:30 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:True story (will not name names to protect the guilty!)

Working at a station doing some work on an audio switcher. I need to go to the automation server and label an input on the switcher. I log in via VNC and oddly see the playback screen of one of the stations. Did a little digging and found out that a jock was doing a remote and wanted a "countdown" from the studio, and because the automation workstations can't see the internet, he installed LogMeIn on the server and then logged in to the studio via VNC. Broke about 100 rules, but I thought it was pretty resourceful! :-)
Right!, like a jock was concerned with staying within time. Never happens. Probably was a PD checking how bad the jock was. :roll:
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

countrykev

Post by countrykev » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:13 pm

The morning guy on our talk station was always creeped out by VNC. He thought it was so weird to see the mouse move on it's own and do stuff.

Anyway, one day the show is talking about how business were increasingly monitoring staff's Internet and email usage. It's like 7:00AM and I'm still at home, and as the conversation carried on, I logged on to the automation screen, opened a chat window, and type "HAHAHAHA. I'M ALWAYS WATCHING."

The host stops in mid sentence, followed by a long pause, and followed by a lot of laughter from the other hosts and an explanation on the air to what I just did.
What the heck am I supposed to write here?