Semi-Accidential Redundant planning

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
NECRAT
Site Admin

Semi-Accidential Redundant planning

Post by NECRAT » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:41 pm

So you ever do a project , for what you can only think of as an extreme "just in case" scenario?

I did one of those about two months ago, during some down time, where I wired in these jumpers between two satellite RF systems, "just in case". Never know what it could be used for, but figured it would be a good idea.

Well thanks to that planning, our sub channel (Movies!) has remained on the air since the LNBs died Monday... I was able to talk our studio engineer through routing and got the channel back on the air in under 15 minutes. Never really my direct intention for it, but it worked to keep us on the air.

We'll be on the backup too until Thursday when the new LNBs arrive (including two "on the shelf" spare for future issues).

Sometimes planning like that really pays off when you least expect it.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RGORJANCE

Re: Semi-Accidential Redundant planning

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 am

There is a very old abbreviated statement that covers this----it is the 7 "P's". AKA "prior proper planning prevents p... poor performance". Good move on your part! A substantial raise in salary is well deserved.

Fossil

ChuckG

Re: Semi-Accidential Redundant planning

Post by ChuckG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:09 am

NECRAT wrote:So you ever do a project , for what you can only think of as an extreme "just in case" scenario?

You mean before the extreme, just in case scenario happens, right? :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin