Priorities, man!

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
PID_Stop

Priorities, man!

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 am

So... I'm doing my first-thing walk-through in the rack room this morning when the power goes out (whiteout conditions outside, and a car took out a utility pole down the street). It's amazing how disorienting the rack room is in the dark, illuminated only by the equipment, but after 33 years I'm used to it. After a few seconds the generator has started, lights are back on, and everything around me is rebooting and beeping. The most air-critical stuff is UPS protected, and to a home viewer there's no sign that anything untoward has happened. But we have a local news cut-in coming in a couple minutes, so I'm making sure everything is still up and running properly: production switcher, character generators, audio console, clip server, MOS server, and so forth. Things are looking pretty good, but I hear someone hollering in another room, demanding that someone from Engineering help them IMMEDIATELY!

It's a guy from Sales who lost fifty cents in the vending machine when the power went out.

Sigh... :roll:

rftranstv

Re: Priorities, man!

Post by rftranstv » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:04 pm

I'd of chewed him out...that's just me tho...

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Give him 15 cents and remind him that he paid on collections....

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:59 pm

PID_Stop wrote:So... I'm doing my first-thing walk-through in the rack room this morning when the power goes out (whiteout conditions outside, and a car took out a utility pole down the street). It's amazing how disorienting the rack room is in the dark, illuminated only by the equipment, but after 33 years I'm used to it. After a few seconds the generator has started, lights are back on, and everything around me is rebooting and beeping. The most air-critical stuff is UPS protected, and to a home viewer there's no sign that anything untoward has happened. But we have a local news cut-in coming in a couple minutes, so I'm making sure everything is still up and running properly: production switcher, character generators, audio console, clip server, MOS server, and so forth. Things are looking pretty good, but I hear someone hollering in another room, demanding that someone from Engineering help them IMMEDIATELY!

It's a guy from Sales who lost fifty cents in the vending machine when the power went out.

Sigh... :roll:
I'd make him/her aware, that it's simple. Not engineering's job. Contact the vending company.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:43 am

I just laughed and pointed out that it could have been worse: we could have been off the air with his commission down to a solid zero. He got the point and laughed a bit, too.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:33 pm

PID_Stop wrote:I just laughed and pointed out that it could have been worse: we could have been off the air with his commission down to a solid zero. He got the point and laughed a bit, too.
Maybe it's time to plug the vending machines into the building UPS :lol:
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

djpcraze

Post by djpcraze » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:59 am

Unfortunately so, it IS that way in my plant. Circuits added by an electrical contractor who tied into the closest panel... which was fed from the UPS and transfer switch. I have two cubicles, a soda machine, a snack machine, and a microwave fed from the generator panel. Going to get them back out to fix this ASAP, however it is it really insulting to see a sales guy microwaving his burrito while I'm running around because our ISP's fiber isn't sharing the same luxury.

Radio Ranger

Pop machine blues

Post by Radio Ranger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Mike Gorniak was chief engineer of KSGS-AM 950 in Minneapolis around 2000. There had been reports of the station dropping off the air momentarily during the day, but Mike couldn't find anything that would make the transmitter drop and then return to the air without showing some kind of overload. Finally one day he was working next to the transmitter when an account exec walked up, turned off the transmitter, moved over to an adjacent pop machine and bought a can, then went back to the transmitter and turned it on. He had figured out that RF from the transmitter made the pop machine behave erratically, and didn't think anyone would mind if the station was off the air long enough for him to purchase a Coke.

Steve Brown
Radio Rangers
Minneapolis

rftranstv

Re: Pop machine blues

Post by rftranstv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:07 am

Radio Ranger wrote:Mike Gorniak was chief engineer of KSGS-AM 950 in Minneapolis around 2000. There had been reports of the station dropping off the air momentarily during the day, but Mike couldn't find anything that would make the transmitter drop and then return to the air without showing some kind of overload. Finally one day he was working next to the transmitter when an account exec walked up, turned off the transmitter, moved over to an adjacent pop machine and bought a can, then went back to the transmitter and turned it on. He had figured out that RF from the transmitter made the pop machine behave erratically, and didn't think anyone would mind if the station was off the air long enough for him to purchase a Coke.

Steve Brown
Radio Rangers
Minneapolis

no way..i don't believe it...I mean I kinda do...but that's just too much