Want to know what makes (most) UHF engineers cringe?

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
ChuckG

Re: glad that I decided to stop

Post by ChuckG » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:56 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:That makes two of us.
Three.
My father was involved with starting up WREX (rockford) and WFRV (green bay). Then he got out of TV and suggested I never get in.
Of course he also suggested avoiding radio and looking into law school. :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

TPT

Re: Want to know what makes (most) UHF engineers cringe?

Post by TPT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Gee--I went to law school. Ended up owning three radio stations....then I get to work with a much better class of people... :wink:

grich

Post by grich » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:43 am

Damn, I still think that's a nice floor!

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:49 pm

grich wrote:Damn, I still think that's a nice floor!
Thanks! It's actually time to have it buffed again!
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 pm

PID_Stop wrote:"Oh, crap, now I have to truck the drum of wax and the floor buffer up this mountain again!"
Or in my case, across the hotel parking lot! (Yes our tower is in the middle of an overflow lot for a local hotel).
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Thu May 05, 2016 9:28 am

THAT "Makes UHF engineers cringe"?

Ah, you "youngin's" are so coddled these days . . . No, what used to make most UHF engineers "cringe" was showing up on Monday morning to take a look at the Gates/Harris TTUxxx rig only to find water seeping out of yet another newly failed weld in one of the "weirs" over one of the klystrons and then seeing a thin stream of water making its way down the boiler and the outside body of the tube. Now the fuse is lit on that bundle of dynamite and the question is can it be stopped before it reaches the cathode, bridging that 25-kV, 12-ampere power supply and causing that 480-volt/800-ampere breaker to trip and takes part of the rig down, maybe the entire aural, and possibly destroying the tube in the process. (And it does sound like a bundle of dynamite going off when that breaker trips.) Gotta take the rig down and let things cool off and drain some of the distilled water from the rig before you can change that weir, even if you have a spare. Thank goodness for epoxy putty. And God help you if the "boot" between the top of the klystron boiler and the bottom of the weir splits . . . then you've got a real mess to deal with . . .

Ah, the good old days . . . NOT!

Conelrad

Post by Conelrad » Sat May 14, 2016 10:33 am

Back in the 70's, when cross-ownership was legal in a single market, I worked for KBLU AM FM TV13. Yuma, AZ.

The radio side was pretty sedate, but the TV was fraught with licensed psychotic air staff and one-off HB electronics gear.

The TV STL was an old Raytheon remote unit, a huge HB vestigial filter, 2 Ampex VR-1000 quad's rigged to run high band color.

The TX was a Dumont 5kW blowing into an RCA lighthouse amp for that 316kW ERP.

Don't forget the local WX guy, a drunk that got soused at a station new years party there in Yuma, and woke up penniless in a Honolulu hotel...

My one & only foray into the video world...don't miss it a bit!

Dennis

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat May 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Dennis,

What happened when the radio and TV split? The first time I was down there 13 was KYEL. And later it was KSWT. I think at that time it was sold to Telemundo. 11 was off the air -- when it came back I thought it was new but later learned there had been an 11 there before.

At some point Univision showed up with Channel 7. I didn't have any use for the Spanish programming, but in passing it sure seemed like a first-class operation.

The CBS station then was 9 out of El Centro which had trouble staying on the air in the winter. Since it was in Calif. it took the Pacific feed and had local news at 11. But that was 12 in AZ so news was at 10 or 12 in the winter.

Interesting market but I was glad I was only visiting!

Colorado Springs was also interesting on the TV side in 1975. Channel 13 was the ABC affiliate. I don't remember or never knew how they accomplished the two-hour delay from ET. Channel 5 out of Pueblo was the NBC and I believe was a satellite of KOA-TV in Denver which supplied the mountain time zone with its NBC feed.

Channel 11 was the CBS affiliate and apparently were left to their own devices for the network programming. They had a special promo they would run with the time and day they would run several of the programs, sometimes not on the same day. I can't remember what night everybody knew was All in the Family night in the USA but it was a different night in Colorado Springs!

I'll bet there was a lot of cringing at KKTV when a delay recording went bust. I guess all the KK stations were co-owned at some point but they were all separate (I think) by 1975. (KKAM was actually in Pueblo - didn't put a great signal into CS.)

Where I grew up -- greater NYC -- we were spoiled with 7 V's; 4 indies one of which eventually became educational. (13 formerly WNTA now WNET and for the longest time licensed to Newark but I believe is now licensed to NYC after Channel 9 became a NJ station by being licensed to Secaucus, once a pig farming area now a city which rivals Newark in population.)
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---