High tech meeting no tech

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
Shane

High tech meeting no tech

Post by Shane » Sat May 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Ever had this problem? A telco pedestal gets knocked over by a farmer's tractor, goes unreported.

Mice take up residence and after chewing on your ISDN line for a while they piss on it causing an intermittent.

Ah, the schemes of mice and men.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

awsherrill

Re: High tech meeting no tech

Post by awsherrill » Sun May 15, 2016 8:01 am

Mike:

Where I live, it seems like there are at least one or two destroyed pedestals per square mile. The drunks apparently are four-wheeling over them. I'm amazed that POTS lines anywhere still work, let alone anything else.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Sun May 15, 2016 4:52 pm

I lost my POTS line at home two years in a row when the county mowed the roadside pedestal.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

grich

Post by grich » Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 am

Mice chew up wires in a pedestal at least once a year knocking one of my stations off the air. I've driven the cable path and everything seems intact from the road. Mice will find a way.

Wonder if the telco would get mad if I walked around with a can wrench and a case of mothballs? :mrgreen:

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Mon May 16, 2016 9:38 am

No mouse problems, but I did have a semi tractor challenge a pedestal last year. Aside from a torn off muffler, the semi won.

Telco swore they had migrated the circuits over to another pedestal, farther over from the road. In spite of questions as to what else might have taken my station's lines down, they stayed with that story until it became clear that a large hunk of the downtown core was also dead.

Impressive, how fast you can get a splicing crew out on a Sunday, once the magnitude of a problem becomes clear.

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Mon May 16, 2016 11:37 am

I've lost count of how many pedestals I've seen with garbage bags and duct tape over them.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon May 16, 2016 4:17 pm

Wonder if the telco would get mad if I walked around with a can wrench and a case of mothballs? :mrgreen:
I LIKE this idea! The one we have the most trouble with is a three-mile long "last mile" and we know the route. I'll be hitting Tractor Supply for some mothballs.

We'd be doing them a favor.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon May 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Had Frontier back over their own pedestal while re-burying their line. 6" down is not "buried", but I digress...
I had to call in a service request so they could fix the pedestal they just backed over. Apparently they can't just do it.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon May 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Different department. :roll:

Around here "buried" means "let the grass grow up around it". Comcast seems to like coming out every two weeks to replace the drop they literally dropped on the ground exposed to lawn mowers.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Conelrad

Post by Conelrad » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:15 pm

Fortunately for us in AZ the Corporation Commission regulates all public wire communication.

That covers telco & cable, so repairs are done without much delay.

The hook is the same companies want to do high speed data/video as well, and can't pick & choose what to provide.

They have weasled out of supporting SS circuits, but ISDN is still functioning.

Dennis