Doh!

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
Shane

Doh!

Post by Shane » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:55 pm

IMG_0783sm.jpg
New low in "dummy locking."
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

awsherrill

Re: Doh!

Post by awsherrill » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:54 pm

That kind of problem is pretty easy to fix with bolt cutters, and I've done it more than once.

By any chance do you have AT&T as a site tenant? or is the extra lock for the guy who reads the power meter?

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:34 pm

I have no clue what you are talking about...

Yes, the brass combo lock is the tower's.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Note that the lock, although it's bypassing the "chain of locks" it isn't latched. As if to say, "I didn't mean it." That's why I used the term "dummylock." See below.

No AT&T but a tenant who insists on having their own lock on this gate. You have to go through three gates. They don't seem to mind that they have the same key to the tower fence gate as we do.

Maybe he just doesn't like our combination!

Having said that, their lock has saved the day a time or two (when put back properly) when our lock froze up but theirs opened. We have the combo's to both. Which makes the whole thing even sillier.

OPPD has been trusted with the combination, but has a different combination for the security keypad. They're also supposed to call me when they enter and when they leave the site but that doesn't always happen. Fortunately, with new security setups, I get emails when they go in and go out so it's obvious if they failed to arm the system on exit and who is to blame.

OTOH, we are the lessors at an MUD site. Went in there the other week to check on things in the CE's absence. The gate was open and someone was doing some work for the utility and was ready to leave as I got out of my car. He asked if he should leave it open for me. I said no, but he said, "I'll dummy lock it for you." Believe it or not, that's when I learned the terminology. I stumbled across the picture, taken a few years ago, just the other night and didn't realize at first that the bypassing lock wasn't latched until after I uploaded it. Now how dumb is that?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:57 am

Side note: I've found saturating those newer "brass" Masterlocks with WD-40 seems to keep them from freezing up in the winter.

grich

Post by grich » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Shane wrote:...OPPD has been trusted with the combination, but has a different combination for the security keypad. They're also supposed to call me when they enter and when they leave the site but that doesn't always happen. Fortunately, with new security setups, I get emails when they go in and go out so it's obvious if they failed to arm the system on exit and who is to blame.
Hope they treat the nuke plant shutdown better than your alarm system. :mrgreen:

Haven't been to a shared site yet that didn't have a bunch of cut-off chain links accumulating in the gravel...

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:16 pm

They get about 30 years to finish the job on the nuke plant.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:11 pm

The easiest way to alleviate this, is to do multiple short links on the chain...

So instead of... oooo[N][N][N][N]oooo you have this.... ooo[N]ooo[N]oooo[N]oooo[N]ooo

Then the lock , locks chains, and not to others.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:58 pm

ooo[N]ooo[N]oooo[N]oooo[N]ooo
Had a client site try that once. After about eight months they had:

ooo[N][N][N][N]ooo
-------------------------
ooo oooo oooo

Apparently the puzzle was just too difficult for some. :roll:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:24 pm

I once saw a photograph of some sort of a flat plate gadget with multiple locks on it. Somehow removing any one of the locks would allow the gate to open. Anyone know of this?

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Sounds like Stymie lock.

http://www.stymielock.com/

We have them at a couple of our sites. Much neater solution than a padlock daisy chain, but not 100% immune to idiots as I discovered recently.

Thus the saying "Nothing is fool-proof, because fools are so ingenious".