Have you ever accidently taken yourself off the air?

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
Shane

Re: Have you ever accidently taken yourself off the air?

Post by Shane » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:31 pm

Several months ago while testing something I don't recall (because what followed eclipsed that in memorability), I accidentally pulled the plug on the automation network switch.

3 radio stations came to a screeching halt.

Getting them all back to some semblance of normal took 10 or 15 minutes because the automation's local mode, which used to work, doesn't. So a bunch of that time was wasted trying to get on local mode.

I am usually one to remain calm and get things going again without panic or brain freeze. Not that day. Of course, it's easier to remain calm when somebody else did it!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:29 pm

How about just 30 minutes ago? <grin> Knocked a power plug out of the back of a Tunwall transmitter/antenna controller. Oops. Got real quiet as the rig shut down. Dammit!!

dave
NECRAT wrote:Have you ever taken your self off the air? and what is the worst thing you did, in doing so...

About three weeks ago, I moved our HD switcher in the rack to another piece of equipment. Unfortunatley for me, I missed the fact the switcher is vented on top. Because I "sandwich" mounted it, the switcher overheated and froze. At 11pm, we aired color bars on our HD (and then Letterman timings) instead of the local newscast. By the time the switcher cooled enough to be back in operation, it was well past when Letterman began so we lost an entire newscast.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:39 pm

jammerdave wrote:Got real quiet as the rig shut down. Dammit!!
As with children, too much quiet is usually a sign that something really bad is happening.

When I started here, the Ampex ACR-25 (first generation automated 2" videotape cassette player, circa late 1960s) created a nearly deafening roar with its dual vacuum blowers, punctuated by the racket of threading, cueing, rewinding, unthreading, and head whine. After it was replaced with a Sony Betacart, it took months before we could walk into the eerily quiet control room without having panic attacks.

Jeff

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:21 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
jammerdave wrote:Got real quiet as the rig shut down. Dammit!!
As with children, too much quiet is usually a sign that something really bad is happening.

When I started here, the Ampex ACR-25 (first generation automated 2" videotape cassette player, circa late 1960s) created a nearly deafening roar with its dual vacuum blowers, punctuated by the racket of threading, cueing, rewinding, unthreading, and head whine. After it was replaced with a Sony Betacart, it took months before we could walk into the eerily quiet control room without having panic attacks.

Jeff
Try walking into a UHF site that had two Comark 2-tube transmitters, that became abandoned in April 2009. From walking in from the outside with no blower noise, to the inside. You could only hear the Boom Box from the FM in the corner room (which has also, now moved)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"