Your Biggest On Air Screw up..

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
jeeisenz

Re: Your Biggest On Air Screw up..

Post by jeeisenz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:45 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:02 pm
AND my vocabulary potted down...
Yeah - ironically after that, vocabulary hasn't been an issue... :lol:

rfn

Post by rfn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:57 pm

Early morning local newscast - I was doubling in news while doing the engineering for an Alaskan AM.

Story concerned state fish and game making changes to THE COUNCIL CARIBOU HUNT.

Alliteration is NOT your friend.

Say it (THE COUNCIL CARIBOU HUNT) fast five times. It WILL happen. Did it in two consecutive newscasts despite the morning jock having come in to news after the first one: "I Can't f'n believe what you JUST SAID!".

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 pm

College 10 Watt FM station, St. Louis, about 19XX.

I was on late at night playing some trash from a music list I despised.

Earlier, my girlfriend had called and asked me if I had had a meal yet and I said no. So she said she would bring some pizza over and we could have pizza and a coke (soda pop for you youngins'), while I played a long list of carts.

She finally arrived, tapped on the window, I slipped in another cart tape and flipped the mike off, or so I thought.

Being the joker that she was, she said in a loud voice, "Here's YOUR piece Bigdog, 'cause you know I just Luuvvvv you."

For the next three days I was hesitant to go to ANY class.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 am

Although not broadcast, my BFF and long time roommate was a dispatcher (and later dispatch supervisor) for the TN Highway Patrol whose low band radio system had better coverage than a Class C FM.

My old friend, who has recently passed on, had a cool trick where he would stand in the hall outside the old radio room window and talk to visitors until a trooper called on their multi site low band radio system. He would sprint down the hall, make a flying leap into the military surplus chair, whiz across several feet of carpet, hit the PTT switch on the Motorola Centracom console and start talking/typing at the same time.

One particularly cold, low humidity day he was visiting with a grade school class in the hallway when on cue, a trooper called for a tag check. The group of 10 year olds watched in awe as he ran down the carpeted hallway, launched into the old green office chair, slid across several more feet of low bid carpet, hit the PTT button, zoomed up to the big metal Shure 55 mic and drew a 2 inch static arc to his upper lip.

The resulting F-bomb was epic on air as well as a real hit with the visitors. He got to spend several quality minutes with the district Captain and received a letter of reprimand from the THP Colonel in Nashville. But somehow the unedited, top secret logging recorder tape made the state wide Christmas party reel.

RIP Mikey,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:08 am

COMMENG wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 pm
See I learned my roman numerals. That would be 1920, sir!

:mrgreen:
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:29 pm

NECRAT wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:08 am
COMMENG wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 pm
See I learned my roman numerals. That would be 1920, sir!

:mrgreen:

Ouch! :mrgreen: