VOA Delano Video

Have a site with some cool media? Post the links here
Sparks

VOA Delano Video

Post by Sparks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:11 am

Just wanted to pass along the link to this video. Hope this site remains.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qlLhWlDbKbI

Eric

Dave Loudin

Re: VOA Delano Video

Post by Dave Loudin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:56 pm

The large curtain array show in the video is the prototype array for the antennas built at the Morocco and Thailand stations. There are two sets of three panels, each four elements (folded dipoles) wide and six elements high. The larger arrays cover 6 - 12 MHz while the smaller arrays cover 13 - 26 (or was it 11 - 22 ?) MHz. The feed system was pretty complex, in order to achieve electrical slewing of the main beam in both the horizontal AND vertical planes. The basic unit for feed control is a 2x2 block of elements. Vertically, a pair of elements can be fed in-phase, out-of-phase, or not at all. Horizontally, phase delay between one two-element group and another could achieve up to 30 degrees of slew.

Nominally, each panel was treated as an independent antenna. However, all three panels could be ganged together to create up to a 12-element wide array. Up to three 500kW transmitters could be connected at once, so Delano could have given HAARP's initial prototype array a run for the money. This complex antenna system was boresighted on Brasilia, so it was useful only for VOA Portuguese, Spanish, and English plus whatever we could convince the BBC to run. Of course, SW broadcasts of Spanish and Portuguese were terminated rather early on. Since the vast majority of VOA broadcasting to Asia and the Pacific have originated in the Philippines and the construction of a new station in Thailand handled the rest, Delano's utility dropped to the point of no return.

I've been all over both Delano and Bethany, but not Greenville while I was at the Voice. Good thing for them, then, eh?
What's that do....?

Sparks

Post by Sparks » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:37 pm

Well, Greenville has taken a significant hit as well. I still have one friend over there who gives me updates every now and again. They have mothballed Site A, still broadcasting out of Site B, and given away Site C. It's a sad thing. While the doors were still open to the public, I did manage a tour of site A and B. I also have been through site C but only after they removed all the gear. I'd love to run through those sites again. Those are some magnificent transmitter sites.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:09 am

Sparks wrote:Well, Greenville has taken a significant hit as well. I still have one friend over there who gives me updates every now and again. They have mothballed Site A, still broadcasting out of Site B, and given away Site C. It's a sad thing. While the doors were still open to the public, I did manage a tour of site A and B. I also have been through site C but only after they removed all the gear. I'd love to run through those sites again. Those are some magnificent transmitter sites.

Heh I have a tour "on the books" at a date to be determined for Greenville.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

Sparks

Post by Sparks » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:10 am

K9EZ wrote:

Heh I have a tour "on the books" at a date to be determined for Greenville.
I wanna go!

ajstriker

Post by ajstriker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:55 pm

I'm out in LA right now, I should take a drive out there just to see it. Too bad I didn't bring a decent camera.
There's always room for a bigger amplifier!