OLDIE BUT A GOODIE

Have a site with some cool media? Post the links here
RGORJANCE

OLDIE BUT A GOODIE

Post by RGORJANCE » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:50 pm

Studio at KWGS-FM, University of Tulsa. Picture taken in 1956.

My first radio gig after ham radio.

Fossil

Oh, yeah - it's a Western Electric Console.
KWGS FM.jpg

Chris from Milwaukee

Re: OLDIE BUT A GOODIE

Post by Chris from Milwaukee » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Spinning 78s were ya? :lol:
Chris from Milwaukee
Feeding Broadcast Engineers Worldwide
(And transmitter salesmen too!)

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:39 pm

The record on the console is actually a mono 33 1/3. You should be able to see the cuts. We did have 78rpm records, but rarely used them.

This was before 8 track and cartridge tape. I could be wrong, but this might have also preceded FM Stereo.

The station equipment (xmttr, etc.) was donated to the university by Mr. Skelly, founder of Skelly Oil Co. I left the station after one year and got a "real job" at KVOO Radio in Tulsa, which he had built and owned.

Fossil

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:15 pm

I love the stick holding up the gooseneck... :)

Yeah, 1956 predated FM Multiplex Stereo, which if memory serves was authorized around 1965. I can't find the exact document though so it may have been later but it definitely wasn't in the 50's...
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 am

Deep Thought wrote:I love the stick holding up the gooseneck... :)

Yeah, 1956 predated FM Multiplex Stereo, which if memory serves was authorized around 1965. I can't find the exact document though so it may have been later but it definitely wasn't in the 50's...
According to http://www.oldradio.com/current/bc_fm.htm it was first authorized on June 1, 1961 when WEFM Chicago (now WUSN 99.5) and WGFM Schenectady (WRVE, also on 99.5) began. I'm quite certain there were experimental multiplex stereo broadcasts before then.

Some readers may not be aware there were stereo broadcasts before multiplex came along. The left channel would be broadcast on an AM station and the right channel on an FM. (not as difficult to arrange in those days when most FM stations simulcast a co-owned AM fulltime anyway...)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 am

w9wi wrote:(not as difficult to arrange in those days when most FM stations simulcast a co-owned AM fulltime anyway...)
...and the AM's fidelity was as good as the FM's! ;)
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:57 am

w9wi wrote:According to http://www.oldradio.com/current/bc_fm.htm it was first authorized on June 1, 1961 when WEFM Chicago (now WUSN 99.5) and WGFM Schenectady (WRVE, also on 99.5) began. I'm quite certain there were experimental multiplex stereo broadcasts before then.

Some readers may not be aware there were stereo broadcasts before multiplex came along. The left channel would be broadcast on an AM station and the right channel on an FM.
Thank you for the date correction. I searched around looking for the official start per FCC docket but couldn't find it earlier, but 1961 is correct. I have an old HH Scott 330D tuner which has an AM-FM stereo mode (AM is left channel, FM is right channel) along with a "wide-normal-narrow" bandwidth switch on AM plus a switchable "whistle filter" (10 KHz notch). It also has a "multiplex jack" coming off the discriminator should you wish to plug in one of those newfangled adapters for FM stereo.
BroadcastDoc wrote:...and the AM's fidelity was as good as the FM's! ;)
It still is. The radios today, however, suck. The wideband AM position on the 330D sounds great, or at least it did before IBOC. The "narrow" position is still better than 5 KHz...
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

RGORJANCE

Re: OLDIE BUT A GOODIE (WEFM/WUSN CHICAGO)

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:33 am

I got some useless old memories rattling around in the gray matter that tells me that the engineer at WEFM (back around 1970-71) told me that the station was then owned by Zenith, and they developed the FM stereo system that was approved for FM.

Anybody around that can confirm, or correct this???

Fossil

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:27 am

You are correct. WEFM went on the air in 1940 and Zenith owned it. The earliest Broadcasting Yearbook I have is from 1977. That shows an ownership change in 1973. I can't find anything earlier than that. You may remember the big dust-up when the format was changed...

A quick scan of the Chicagoland listings shows four full-time commercial classical stations on FM in 1977, and one all-news FM.

I found a list of FM stations from 1947. You may recognize the Chicagoland stations:

WBBM-FM CBS Inc. (WBBM), Chicago 99.3
WDLM Moody Bible Institute of Chicago (WMBI), Chicago 99.7
WGNB WGN Inc. (WGN), (45.9 mc), Chicago 98.9
WEFM Zenith Radio Corp. (45.1 mc), Chicago 98.5

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
w9wi wrote:According to http://www.oldradio.com/current/bc_fm.htm it was first authorized on June 1, 1961 when WEFM Chicago (now WUSN 99.5) and WGFM Schenectady (WRVE, also on 99.5) began. I'm quite certain there were experimental multiplex stereo broadcasts before then.

Some readers may not be aware there were stereo broadcasts before multiplex came along. The left channel would be broadcast on an AM station and the right channel on an FM.
Thank you for the date correction. I searched around looking for the official start per FCC docket but couldn't find it earlier, but 1961 is correct. I have an old HH Scott 330D tuner which has an AM-FM stereo mode (AM is left channel, FM is right channel) along with a "wide-normal-narrow" bandwidth switch on AM plus a switchable "whistle filter" (10 KHz notch). It also has a "multiplex jack" coming off the discriminator should you wish to plug in one of those newfangled adapters for FM stereo.
BroadcastDoc wrote:...and the AM's fidelity was as good as the FM's! ;)
It still is. The radios today, however, suck. The wideband AM position on the 330D sounds great, or at least it did before IBOC. The "narrow" position is still better than 5 KHz...
Dad had an Allied tuner like that. (where you could turn on the AM and FM at the same time and tune them independently) It had a "whistle filter" too. Don't remember about the multiplex jack.

And I concur with your comment about AM fidelity and the problem being at the receiver end. (and to some degree, at the FCC end.....)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66