KVOO-AM STUDIOS NEW IN 1957

Have a site with some cool media? Post the links here
RGORJANCE

KVOO-AM STUDIOS NEW IN 1957

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 am

Hi guys!

Here are three shots of the station I worked at as a kid. The main control room had three boards-one for studio-picture right, and one for the big studio with the piano and organ. Yes, we had two musicians on staff. Main board could get feeds from either aux console, 4 TT's and two Ampex 300's mono, of course in addition to external feeds. The racks contained 6 Macintosh amps, Langevin bridge amps, several equalizers, HP test gear, and the pre-requisite patch panels. We were the main distribution point for the "Tornado Warning" feed from the weather bureau radar station. We forwarded these feeds simultaneously to all the radio and TV stns in Tulsa. Every station had the exact same report from the single source.

The Production room had two consoles, several TT's and two Ampex 300's as well as two Presto disk cutters driven by amps with parallel, push pull 807's. Notice the Maggies in the Prod room racks. These fed the power amps for the lathes. We were so good, we could operate both cutters at the same time which sped up cutting time for as many as 50-100 disks with multiple cuts on both sides. As they say, "when you're hot, you're hot".

The entire facility was spring isolated on the floor, and isolated from the rest of the building. We had severe thunderstorms, and the only times you could hear thunder was if we took a hit within a block, or so. We once had a tornado come right over the top of the building and we never even knew it until a newsman heading into the station spotted it from his car.

Fossil
KVOO MN AA.jpg
KVOO PROD A.jpg
Attachments
KVOO MN BB.jpg

RGORJANCE

Re: KVOO-AM STUDIOS NEW IN 1957

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:34 am

BTW- The Fossil sends special thanks to the "Doctor" for his able assistance getting these pictures posted. I neglected to issue credits on the original.

Fossil

MHVoris

Post by MHVoris » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:33 pm

Wow Bob, that is cool. I love to look at the old pictures of the radio stations of "yesterday". I had applied and tried to get a job with KVOO and I guess they weren't interested... Oh well I like it here in the "Big O".

Oh Vern Killion says hi, he's enjoying his retirement :wink:
Mark H Voris CBRE
Chief Engineer
Spirit Catholic Radio - KVSS
Omaha, Nebraska

Chris from Milwaukee

Post by Chris from Milwaukee » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Slick! Now that's equipment!
Chris from Milwaukee
Feeding Broadcast Engineers Worldwide
(And transmitter salesmen too!)