Tropical storm Debby vs 1470 AM WMGG

Have a site with some cool media? Post the links here
LA3A

Post by LA3A » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Tropical storm Debby turned this normally dry AM tower site into a lake. Tower base is under water, transmitter shack is dry and running 1Kw. The engineer thinks he is only radiating 100 watts off the tower.
Attachments
WMGG tower.jpg
1470 AM WMGG

radiowave911

Re: Tropical storm Debby vs 1470 AM WMGG

Post by radiowave911 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:47 pm

A local AM station, WKBO, used to have it's transmitter site on the southern end of an island in the Susquehanna river. The transmitter building was 40ft above the ground, the tower was grounded, the actual radiating element was wire that ran along the tower on insulated standoffs. The entire site could go 40ft under water and, assuming AC power remained, stay on the air.

I remember there was a home-made dummy load of some wire-wound resistors mounted to a piece of plywood in that shack as well.

I do not believe it is there any longer, not sure where the transmitter site is now.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

davek

Post by davek » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:38 am

I've worked at a transmitter site that was built to handle this exact situation...
000_0040.JPG
Which explains why this inside the TX hut...
000_0042.JPG

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Point could be argued that the site was a "flood prone area"!

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:38 am

davek wrote:I've worked at a transmitter site that was built to handle this exact situation...
000_0040.JPG
Wow. What station was that?
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

davek

Post by davek » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:10 pm

3MP in Melbourne, Australia. Sadly I don't have any photos of the transmitters, when I was last there the main was a Nautel Ampfet 2kW and RCA Ampliphase backup - and both running C-QUAM.

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:56 am

radiowave911 wrote:A local AM station, WKBO, used to have it's transmitter site on the southern end of an island in the Susquehanna river. The transmitter building was 40ft above the ground, the tower was grounded, the actual radiating element was wire that ran along the tower on insulated standoffs. The entire site could go 40ft under water and, assuming AC power remained, stay on the air.

I remember there was a home-made dummy load of some wire-wound resistors mounted to a piece of plywood in that shack as well.

I do not believe it is there any longer, not sure where the transmitter site is now.
Same kind of story with WHGB. It's off of 83 by the Penndot building. That is the former 9th street which was completely wiped out by Agnes. The shack and tower base are built on 20' high pylons. When we had all that flooding last year, the plan was to take the power supplies off the floor and put them on top of the transmitter just in case the water rose above 20' high but we lucked out.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Sammy, didn't think you were old enough to remember Agnes! :) Agnes hit over the ARRL FD weekend that year. I was camping at a FD location in NJ. First she drowned the generator, then after the rain stopped we saw against a floodlight what we were sure were snowflakes. Either that or it was very slow rain. The air temp was 54 as I recall. We heard the W1AW bulletins about the flooding to our northwest while operating.

IIRC, 'KBO had one heck of a signal from the island. The new site is off the Capital Area Greenway on Pine Dr, according to Dr. Google.

A station in Iowa, about 60 miles east of Omaha, has a site that gets flooded fairly often (every few years) and has a longwire more or less permanently set up as a backup antenna in the event of flooding or whatever else may befall the tower.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:15 am

It would be more accurate to say I'm recalling history than actual memories....I wasn't born yet :)

KBO is on a skirt by the water facility. Their engineer was out of town last summer and they were off, so I offered to help. Went to the site, got them working, a storm hit while we were there so we ran, and they took a strike before I event made it across 83. Off air again.

Not only does weather keep us employed, but it keeps the job interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:10 am

One of the St Louis AMs, 1380 (what ever call it is these days) has their 3 tower array and shack on concrete pilings and platforms. I have a picture somewhere I can try to dig up.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:45 pm

It appears you mean the day site:
Attachments
1380_Night.doc
1380 night site
(1 MiB) Downloaded 271 times
1380_Day.doc
KXFN (formerly KWK, I think) day site
(939 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:38 am

Shane wrote:It appears you mean the day site:

Yup, that day site. I have ground level pics. It is hard to get to.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC