Your news team should be ready, right???

Have a site with some cool media? Post the links here
K9EZ
Site Admin

Your news team should be ready, right???

Post by K9EZ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 am

Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

countrykev

Re: Your news team should be ready, right???

Post by countrykev » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:40 pm

That. Is. AWESOME.
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 am

I've worked were the in-studio staff wasn't ready. Drunk weather guy at 10pm comes to mind.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 am

KPJL FM wrote:I've worked were the in-studio staff wasn't ready. Drunk weather guy at 10pm comes to mind.
Or in our case, it was the sports guy who was still banging away at his typewriter as the last :30 spot before the sports segment was playing. I could hear him cussing and stomping all the way up the hallway and opened the control room door for him. He blazed through the sound-lock and tripped on the step up into master control, sending his armload of U-matic tapes (this was early '80s), script packs, wire copy, and stuffed animals flying in every direction. He made it into his seat just in time, but without any of his stuff. The projectionist and I managed to find the tapes (most wound up under the Quad machines and the ACR, one landed in an overhead cable tray), but since he had none of his scripts and we couldn't find the rundown, the sports segment consisted of playing tapes in random order with ad-libbed commentary.

After the fiasco came to a merciful end and the station was safely into Nightline, we could hear the news director bellowing -- clear across the building, through two heavy sound-lock doors, and above all the racket from the ACR and three quad machines. Learned a few new words that night, too...

:shock:

-- Jeff

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 am

I am reminded of the scene in The Newsroom last year where Alison Pill's "Maggie" notes, in an edit bay cutting a package for the on-air 8pm, that she's
about to have her own Broadcast News moment
though they had to handwave the reason as being about how it was faster to send the edited package on a thumbdrive unrendered than to wait...