Visit Our Very Own Mike Shane's sites

Have a site with some cool media? Post the links here
NECRAT
Site Admin

Visit Our Very Own Mike Shane's sites

Post by NECRAT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 am

Scott Fybush did a nice showing of some of our very own Mike Shane's sites in the midwest.

https://www.fybush.com/site-20170811/
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Shane

Re: Visit Our Very Own Mike Shane's sites

Post by Shane » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the spotlight! Scott covered all of our sites over 3 or 4 installments, including an old site that was used for 660 way back in the 30s and 40s.

It was recently "rediscovered" after the FCC began releasing the old history cards. The other site that existed before 1968 had been immediately demolished; the pre-1948 site was unknown to me and forgotten about by most of our present engineering fraternity until I learned of it in the history cards, and then began driving by it on my commute to work after moving to that part of town. It took a few months of passing by it to realize that, "hey, this building screams 1930s transmitter building," that it was indeed at the location specified on the history cards (Duh!), and that I remembered an old tower being on that site as late as 1982 that at the time I had no explanation for nor did I ever drive by the site in such a way as to be able to see there was a building there!

Turns out a local museum had a number of photos and an article about it from when it was first commissioned. Anyway, I took Scott there to get some pics. We were unable to get inside (someone was there but didn't answer the door) but I have since made the acquaintance of the present owner who has promised me a look inside as soon as he cleans it up a bit. He says there are no vestiges of any broadcast equipment save for what he called "some old electrical panels," but that could mean anything, right?

Two important clarifications about the present Salem facilities:

1) I'm the operations manager. Jim Leedham is the CE and should receive all of the credit for most all of the installations. I was mainly just Scott's tour guide and knew enough information to be dangerous, and

2) Although KGBI shared the now-aux-site antenna with 101.9 for many years, once this site became the auxiliary for KGBI, in order to keep the coverage area within that of the new main, KGBI broadcasts from the smaller antenna at about 500 feet on that tower and at 11 kw ERP.

Jim had to go to some lengths to get the BE FM-35B to put out only enough power to make 11kw ERP! Also, the Harris shown In the pic is KOOO's Auxiliary transmitter. The main, a BE FM-35T, is in the heading of the article.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Visit Our Very Own Mike Shane's sites

Post by NECRAT » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:15 am

I can't wait to go see them myself someday!
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"