CBRE Cert Exam Question

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
davedybas

CBRE Cert Exam Question

Post by davedybas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm preparing to take the SBE's CBRE Cert Exam in the not too distant future. I'm curious what others have encountered for the "essay" question. I'm not looking for question-answers, just trying to get a feel for what may be asked for in the essay question.

Thanks,
Dave Dybas

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: CBRE Cert Exam Question

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Nobody is really supposed to disclose the contents of the exams, but expect the essay question to be to describe your response to a scenario. I would imagine that with your experience it won't be too difficult.

Keep in mind that the essay usually isn't a right or wrong situation - it's more to make sure you grasp wider concepts.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

davedybas

Post by davedybas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks Chris.....actually your response told me exactly what I wanted to know...I think I can handle that type of an essay.

From what I see in the SBE Cert Prep disk, the CBRE Exam is actually alot easier than the First Class License exam I took 30 years ago. I won't let that go to my head though...I've got some serious studying ahead.

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:38 pm

Guess who's been getting 4am wake up calls for 5 years next year? Time for more wallpaper.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but are there any practice exams to take online? I'm curious to see whether I'd pass it without studying.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:12 pm

No online exams...you can order practice tests from the SBE however.

I can almost guarantee that you won't pass it without studying. It's not insanely difficult, but it's geared towards people with several years of broad experience and covers a pretty broad range of topics.

Why would you be curious if you'd pass without studying? You get no bonus points for that, though I guess it feeds the ego...
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:21 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:No online exams...you can order practice tests from the SBE however.

I can almost guarantee that you won't pass it without studying. It's not insanely difficult, but it's geared towards people with several years of broad experience and covers a pretty broad range of topics.

Why would you be curious if you'd pass without studying? You get no bonus points for that, though I guess it feeds the ego...
I'm just curious as to how much I've soaked up through experience and through other engineers.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:23 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:No online exams...you can order practice tests from the SBE however.
Unfortunatley that is one of the rare areas where the SBE receives a major FAIL, in my book.
The practice test software is setup so you can only use it on ONE computer, and to activate it after you buy it,
you need to get a hold of a live body to do so. It would be more intuitive if they allowed a 2 PC license (1 for home , 1 for laptop),
and the ability to activate both virtually so you can do it anytime.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 am

How much is the practice test package? I haven't taken a certification test since I did my 1st phone 1977 and it would be interesting to know what is considered 'state of the art' these days. It's been forever since did anything that involved work further upstream than the audio processor input terminals. 8)
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:52 am

NECRAT wrote:Unfortunatley that is one of the rare areas where the SBE receives a major FAIL, in my book.
The practice test software is setup so you can only use it on ONE computer, and to activate it after you buy it,
you need to get a hold of a live body to do so. It would be more intuitive if they allowed a 2 PC license (1 for home , 1 for laptop),
and the ability to activate both virtually so you can do it anytime.
I still don't know why it's not online. If they want to keep details of who has access to the question pool, why not require you to sign up for an account to use it?

Let me test for free and I'll program it. After all, I'm a ZCE :lol:

countrykev

Post by countrykev » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:53 pm

One thing I noticed about the practice exam was that at least for the CBNT, the practice questions were really outdated from what I got on the actual test. Granted that technology moves quickly, and I'm presuming this isn't so much the case with other exams like the CBRE? (going for the CBRE either this year or first part of next)
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 pm

countrykev wrote:One thing I noticed about the practice exam was that at least for the CBNT, the practice questions were really outdated from what I got on the actual test. Granted that technology moves quickly, and I'm presuming this isn't so much the case with other exams like the CBRE? (going for the CBRE either this year or first part of next)
Seeing as AM/FM is fairly old tech, the CBRE questions are still pretty relevant.

The CBNT is going through an overhaul shortly, I believe.

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Is there an essay question on the CBRE exam? I don't recall having one when I took it in the early 90s. I do well remember the one I had on the CSRE exam.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:06 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty certain there is now. I'm up for re-cert so it's been almost five years for me, but ISTR there was one. DRB has one as well.

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 am

Oh, No--the LSAT> I still remember a question about eras of Chinese ceramics.

When I finally took the bar exam, I was working summer relief at WJKW (back now to WJW) TV in Cleveland. Did an afternoon shift--took off for Columbus, back a couple days later on the evening shift.

Now the only "certification" I worry about is being "certifiably insane" for trying to own radio stations in the era of mega-groups.

RGORJANCE

Re: "certifiably insane"

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 am

Anybody who has been in this business any length of time is....... (see subject line).

If anyone should know, it's me. Started in '56. Musta lost my smart pills.

Fossil